Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass: Anyone got experience with one?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by smallstoner, Feb 10, 2012.

1. smallstoner

smallstoner Member

There's one of these bad boys hanging in a local shop used. Both my bass player and I are lusting after it, mainly because it looks pretty cool.

[​IMG]

Noodled on it for a minute but haven't plugged it in (couldn't afford it right now anyway). It's Japan-made with a P/J pickup config and a Strat-style jack. Looks real sharp with the black body/headstock, no pickguard and cream binding.

He (bass player in my band) is seriously considering buying it. He's currently playing a MiM Precision and has a Squier J backup, which he'd probably sell or trade in.

Anyway--anyone own or have experience with one of these? Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

these are very nice MIJ basses.

put better pickups in it and you have yourself a winner.

3. smallstoner

smallstoner Member

How bad are the stock pickups?

4. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

IME, they're not BAD, per se, just not very vintagey. MOre of a modern rock sound. But they're well made basses, if a little hard to keep looking pretty due to the finish (smudges show up easily due to the high gloss)

5. danonbass

danonbass Member

A friend of mine just bought one and it's pretty sick. I agree that the pickups have more of a modern sound, which I actually like. The bass was really well made. I for one, love the MIJ/CIJ Stuff.

I'd say you can't go wrong. Just make sure it gets wiped down. High gloss black shows prints like it's its job...

6. newswede

newswede Member

I had the guitar version. Very well crafted, but the electronics were garbage. Pickups were really bright and brittle. Easy enough to drop in some new pickups (anything), new pots and a switch. The guy who bought it from me put in Texas specials and made a few recordings the same day. Sounded REALLY good. Made me sad I sold it!
    I was constantly amazed by the build though and would highly recommend one.

7. Twangdaddy

Twangdaddy Member

I had one - in red. Very nice, good sound but kinda heavy. Sold it and went back to my lightweight parts bass.

8. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I have one and it doesnt seem heavy at all to me.. the body is so thin....

agree on the fingerprints though... get a microfiber cloth....

9. Rick N Boogie

Rick N Boogie Member

I also had one just like the pic. Good bass, certainly an upgrade from what the op's bassist is using now. If you can snag it for at or below $500 or so, jump on it.

10. VeloDog

VeloDog Member

I borrowed one from a friend for a few days to see how I would like it. Just personal preference on my part, but to me it didn't sound like a P-bass. Had a more modern tone. With the absence of body contours it didn't feel as comfortable as a P-bass either. Finally, I like pickguards on my basses. So, for me at least, it was a bust. Still, it's a well-made axe if it suits you.

11. rybass

rybass Member

I've got this bad boy:

[​IMG]

Japanese market only white. I believe different pups than the USA market and it has the pickguard and control plate. From what I read the dimensions are the same.

It def has hotter more modern pickups. I can't really use it in the blues garage band I'm in but I love taking to to jams.

Mine is lighter than my Geddy Lee. Thicker neck but not as thick as a P. I love the contoured body.

It doesn't get much use because the pups don't fit with the music I'm playing. I keep putting it up on the chopping block then playing it and taking it down. Great bass though. I'm pretty picky about my basses.

12. smallstoner

smallstoner Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I think it's a go--new pickups aren't that big a deal. I'd probably recommend him an HB-single for the bridge anyway to avoid hum.

I wonder how it sounds with just the P pickup on.

13. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I've fiddled with a few- I've liked them, but not enough to pull the trigger.

14. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Why would you do that- generally speaking, the bridge pickup is "flavor" on top of the neck pickup, so you're rarely (if ever) playing the bridge pickup alone- and once it's in with the neck pickup- it's cancelling...

The biggest factor in mating your pickups is getting a pickup to match.

15. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a hum-canceling bridge jazz is a perfectly logical upgrade. (a single coil J does not hum-cancel with a P pickup.)

the dimarzio area J is great at sounding really close to a good vintage jazz pickup, but with no hum. (as a split-coil, it doesn't have the loss that stacks do, and so is much livelier and stronger, even though it's not at all a hot pickup.)

it works great to "flavor" a P pickup without bringing in noise at the same time.