Fender AM Dlx Strat truss rod weirdness

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Paul Conway, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Picked up my US deluxe Fender strat (1998 model) a couple of months ago, and was getting a weird resonant sound. Took off the scratchplate and backplate to make sure nothing there was resonating. We seemed to have tracked it down to the neck, but as it didn't sound anything like fret buzz, we assumed it was the rod. The rod was already tight, but a small tweak seemed to cure it. However, a month on and I've been playing it again, and it seems the noise has come back, except at low Db (strings 5 & 6) instead of Bb at 11th fret, 2nd string and 3rd fret, 3rd string.

So: anyone had something similar? Is it fixable and if not, is it worth going with a Fender replacement neck? I'm not all that worried about staying all-original - it's a guitar for playing, not gazing at.

Cheers guys. I await your sagacious responses!

2. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

3. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Hmmm...since adjusting the rod, the timbre has softened a little and has gotten quieter. It's almost like the sitar-type fretbuzz and can only be heard in the note decay. But it's definitely not fretbuzz (not as 'buzzy'), and appears to be coming from inside the neck. Beyond that, it's hard to describe!

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Are you quite certain it's not a loose machinehead part - screw, key, spring washer, front nut or collar?

These do sometimes rattle and it's actually very hard to tell where a rattle in the neck is coming from.

It is possible that it's the truss-rod, but don't assume the worst yet. It's not very likely unless the rod is close to slack, either.

5. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Well, the truss rod was tightened about a quarter turn, which took it up to a point where it didn't want to go no more! That shifted the frequency of the resonance, as I say, from Bb to Db.

I'll check again. Cheers John.