Fender Amer. Strat Tremolo question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mybusinessmy, Jul 1, 2006.

1. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Hi, I have a Fender Amer. Strat with one of those "snap-in" types of tremolos. The Tremolo arm seems to fall out pretty easily while playing. Does anyone know if this is normal?

2. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

Yeah, mine did the same thing, I hated it. One way to fix it is by wrapping a small piece of electrical tape on the part of the arm that goes into the bridge. It should hold it in there for a while.

3. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I have one, but have rarely used the tremolo. Now I feel like using it but lost the little spring that goes inside the tremolo arm cavity. I wonder if it might make a difference here?

4. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Thanks for that tip, and for that spring thing, I'm not sure. I think even if you had to turn some vintage tremolo bar 30 times to lock it in, it would be better--the thing sometimes comes close to crashing onto the body of the guitar when it falls off!

5. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I apologise if I'm insulting your intelligence :), but are you pushing the arm hard enough to make it click into place? It needs more force than just pushing down the hole.

If you are, check that the little spring halfway down the trem block isn't bent out of shape, broken or missing. It's a pain to get at though, you'll need to get the whole bridge out of the guitar.

(The easiest way is to slacken the strings, then take the trem springs off and you can lift the bridge out without taking the strings off entirely.)

Why every maker hasn't adopted PRS's plain shaft/nylon bushing method I do not know... smooth and easy to get the arm in and out, never falls out, no threads to strip or wear, and you can even adjust the 'swing' tension with a little set-screw.

6. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

I looked down the hole, I actually don't see any spring. I've had this guitar for a couple of years, it's always been annoyance, and it's always been like this, so I'm not sure that there ever was a spring.

7. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I think there should be a spring. I bought mine new and it had a red plastic sticker covering the hole to keep the spring in during shipping. Of course I removed and the spring disappeared at some point. I need to pick up a replacement. Fender Accessories sells them in packs of 12.

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

FWIW, if you've got a screw-in arm (at least in a proper US-style trem block with an angled hole) you shouldn't take the arm out to put the guitar in the case. I know Fender tell you to, but if they read their own literature from the 1950s, they'd find that Leo designed it with the angle like that on purpose, so the arm is low over the body when turned round to over the forearm contour, and you put it in the case like that. That way you don't wear the thread out, or lose the little spring either. Or get grease from the thread all over the case... :)[/QUOTE]

I tend to do that because an arm rattling around in the case can do harm.
    If you're really anal like Bill Chapin he ships the tremelo arm completely separately from the guitar - literally in a different shipping carton..........

Best, Pete.

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have an Am. Std. Strat and the case has a compartment with a lid over it. The arm goes in there when I'm transporting the guitar. With the case closed, even if there were no lid over the compartment, I'm not sure there would be enough room for the arm to move and cause damage. Who know's? I suppose if there's no lid in your case you could put the arm in there without the guitar and give it a good shake. Open the case and see if the arm has moved to where it shouldn't be.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Im not familiar with the PRS system but it sounds to me as if it is the same or very similar to what G&L uses on their Legacy, S500, etc.

11. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Do you know what it is actually called? I went in to Fender's online store and couldn't find it.

12. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

A bit off on a tangent I'll admit, but while you're struggling with trem arms maybe you should consider upgrading to a Callaham trem block.

My brother in law did so with his USA standard and I was pretty surprised at how much difference it actually did make tonally.

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

Believe me it can still get out of there when shipped (I'm not talking about wandering around with it) and can cause significant finish damage.
    Bills' a belt and braces type of guy.

Best, Pete.

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Gotcha.:AOK

15. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Excellent post, thank you, Frascati. Almost positive that is the tremolo that I use. I will definitely look into that.

Realfi-I don't think your post was off at all. Thank you-I am considering having a different bridge installed. It seems like I have heard better clarity in other bridges than what I have.

16. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

ROFL! well, I finally got the tremolo arm in!!! It just needed A LOT of force! I REALLY had to force the thing in. Thanks everyone for your posts!