Fender American Acoustasonic Series Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stonevibe, Jan 22, 2019.

1. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

They look and sound amazing, pretty gorgeous too!

2. Suarkttam

Suarkttam Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

3. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I was going to post on this earlier this morning, after my SW rep sent the link. I did a search and saw there already were threads on it.

I dig it. It's not the usual trick box of effects or plain jane sounds. The price has the R&D built into it, but quality seems there. I'm liking the sunburst.

InkStained likes this.
  4. Suarkttam

Suarkttam Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

These will undoubtably prove divisive, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. It is truly innovative...and as usual, if it isn't your thing...don't buy one. But, it appears to be a really interesting creative tool, and I'm sure beautifully made. I only watched the Andertons demo, but, there is a lot of really interesting tech in the guitar that we could very well see down the road in other models. Kudos to Fender for innovating in what appears to be very musical and useful ways...unlike...some other large manufacturers. (...{ahem}...robotuners...{ahem}...)

5. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

It looks like they put a lot of time into the acoustic voicing, which is the harder nut to crack with hybrid instruments. I am glad Fender is taking a serious leap into these style of instrument, I think there is a big market for it in the wide world of rock/indie rock music that is out there. Outside the narrow realm of blues rock and metal, which kind of dominate the guitar market, there are a lot of people that go for the rootsy but experimental sound. I enjoy having a piezo on my semi hollow electric, because it adds a different dimension.

Fender needs to do an American reso-tele too, like the Korean model they did years ago. Good on them for doing something different, and catering to a different crowd. To my ears, sounds a lot cooler than a T5.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The article I read said there will probably be a MIM version available soon for around $899 once Fender completes obtaining all of the producer surplus it can.

egregion, Da Geezer and Crazyquilt like this.
  7. jklotz

jklotz Member

I wonder how it will do at loud gigs in terms of feedback?

8. rauchman

rauchman Member

I really like them....but not at $2k. Someone through out $799....yeah, that!

9. doesitmatter

doesitmatter Member

What a weird and interesting guitar. A little bit of Godin, a little bit of Variax. I can't imagine the feel.

It sounds like a well made acoustic you can run through a p.a. The electric settings still sound like an acoustic. I think it's the bronze strings. I wonder how it would sound with straight up electric strings?

10. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere Member

Aesthetically, looking at the front-on photo with the Tele outline is initially confusing, but the videos seem to show it in a much better light. It actually looks kinda cool.

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I agree. Fender has tried to market a Tele shaped acoustic several times (I have an MIJ model with a lace sensor in the neck position and a piezo in the bridge) over the years and they just don't work imo. They don't sound like a good acoustic and don't sound like a Telecaster, either. I'm not sure who their intended market is. However, kudos for them for making it in the USA, and maybe it will be better than previous attempts and/or lead to other more ambitious acoustic offerings...

Chicago Slim likes this.
  12. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Given all the fingerpicking/slide I do, as well as looping/sampling -- this looks incredible. And if the quality is up there, I think it's a fair price, relatively speaking. I very much look forwards to avoiding trying one as soon as possible.

Jim Holloway, Wolfboy1 and 2HBStrat like this.
  13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I must confess it delivers multiple sweet sounds.

14. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

The Reverb demo left me vastly underwhelmed.

The acoustic tones sounded dull, a distinct lack of vibrance. The "electric" tones were either tinny or muffled.

Might sound okay in a dense mix, but on its own, bland.

No_Stairway likes this.
  15. The Birdman

The Birdman Member

I've been thinking about this since I posted this morning. Fender has been making quite a few USA-made instruments like the Parallel Universe range and others at the $1999 street price range lately. It makes me wonder if they have USA production capacity available and are trying to find something that will sell to use it. This is just another attempt to do so.

16. Ejphotos

Ejphotos Supporting Member

I like this. Would have to check one out in person.

LordByron likes this.
  17. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

I love it, but the price is a no-go for me.
    Side note: Fender sure loves the word Acoustasonic.

18. bluescast

bluescast Member

Hmm. Fender answers a question no one asked? Perhaps. Time will tell.
    Pros: it is a damn good looking guitar!
    Cons: You have to charge it and at a possible street price of $1599 to $1999, um, it comes with a gig bag.

To be fair, the AcoustiTele is only about 4 pounds and maybe a hard shell case is not necessary.

Like others have said, I'd grab one for $799 in a New York minute.

Honestly. I have enough crap I forget to charge.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  19. crumjack

crumjack Member

Yeah, it’s expensive and I’m not calling my rep to pre-order but I think it’s pretty cool. I think it would be a good tool for a solo act. I know only I care I’m playing a Martin for people chatty it up at a brewery. And they won’t care about the tonez if I drag along my tele or strat.

But as has been pointed out, I’ll take a MIM model off a used rack. Come on rich guys order a bunch of these!

20. Newfie

Newfie Member

Micro-USB charging port is its weak link. It won't stand up to years of use - cellphone lifespan. Too bad they didn't design it to drop in a 9v or other battery.

scr@tchy, Rumblemeister and RGB like this.