Fender American Acoustasonic Series Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stonevibe, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I've become unhealthily fascinated with this guitar. I've watched a bunch of the videos, and the impression I've come away with is this: Every time I'd hear one of the acoustic models, I'd think to myself, 'As if we can even agree on what X or Y tonewood contributes....' and then I'd blink, and think to myself, 'I can see that. That would work.' Not, 'it's a perfect representation!' but one that is effective and definitely catches the flavor of what's being modeled. That's part of why I kept watching, because I kept being pleasantly surprised.

Additionally, I was really impressed by the general UI. To be very TGP, it really feels like a middle finger to Gibson's failed robot guitars, as if to say: You go back to making your pretty archtops. We here at Fender will carry on with building good tools, just like Leo did. There's a lot of tech in there, but it's seamlessly, thoughtfully, integrated. I mean, they put in a body sensor for the Candyrat folks, which I think is fantastic.

And then, I hear the magnetic pickup, and I think to myself, that's no Telecaster pickup. Because it sounds....achingly anemic? I mean, the Reverb demo has it through a silverface DR, and it just sounds pallid. Sickly. I am 99% confident that the bronze strings are the reason. I'd be interested to try monel or nickel, but there's also the issue of gauge, when it comes to acoustic v electric feel. IOW, if it has an Achilles' heel, it seems to be the electric sound, which is kinda sad for a Telecaster.

Of course, all of this is meaningless until we get the guitar in hand. Not me, of course. ;) However, if it pulls off what it's trying to do, I think it'll do well, and I'm glad Fender made it. As if that matters to anyone but my dogs. Nah. They don't care either.

2. WayneM

WayneM Member

My buddy (who works at Fender), indicated that the sound hole is actually a tuned port (like in some speaker cabs). Very cool idea.
    Can't wait to try one!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  3. steve_man

steve_man Member

Cool... but not $2000 cool

4. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Interesting idea.
    Okay execution.
    Crazy price.

One day, when v2 has been released, full of subtle improvements, I'll scoop a used one for $600 or so.

It feels a bit premature, to me.

But I love the idea.

Keep it up, Fender.

But I'm not your Beta Tester.

5. PTS

PTS Member

Should've made them in Mexico or China to slash the retail price in half. Soon as I read 2k, I noped out.

gerg6, steve_man and MoarGear like this.
  6. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Wait for the keeners to sell it on Craigslist.

stonevibe likes this.
  7. TonePilot

1) Stashing your after-gig snacks
    2) A place for your fingerless gloves
    3) A place to hold your shredded cheese after you push it through the strings.

Loads of uses for a soundhole!

Classic Tracks likes this.
  8. TonePilot

What evidence do you have for this? I’m in IT and have never had a Micro-USB port fail.

LordByron likes this.
  9. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Who are the keeners?

10. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

They get bent, stretched, etc, and sometimes a solder joint will break. It happens to everything from flashlights to laptops to iPhones and Droids, etc.

The female jacks themselves are no more robust than the thin metal that surrounds the Male end of a USB cable, most of the time.

It's a dumb format for a guitar.

11. TonePilot

You must be unlucky. It’s used on every product I’ve owned or used or supported in the last ten years. Bose, guitar interfaces, battery packs, etc. Never had or heard of a failure.

LordByron likes this.
  12. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

yet it rarely ever actually happens. "cellphone lifespan"? i'll bet 99% of those obsolete cellphones have micro-USB ports that are still working just fine.

HipUncle and TonePilot like this.
  13. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

I need to see more reviews and have it in a left handed model, but I am interested

14. Classic Tracks

Classic Tracks Silver Supporting Member

LMA off!

15. Chris Hayden

Chris Hayden Member

Nice concept, price is to high for me. If I want all that I'll just dig my old Variax out.

16. InkStained

InkStained Member

Like 99 percent of others, I have yet to try one in person. But I'm intrigued.

What I'm seeing/hearing on videos so far is *not* the thin, direct sort-of acoustic sound I was expecting for this model. It sounds full bodied, yet traditional Fender electric sounds are possible, too.

Keeping it made in America was a risk for Fender, but a smart one, in my opinion. I like unveiling a new model straight from the heart of Fender's U.S. manufacturing operation. Fender is an American company, and too often, people forget that. (Or they just deride it.)

Price-wise, yes, this is Martin-Taylor territory, or at least the lower edges of it. As I said earlier, a risk. But acoustics sell better than electrics these days, and have for some time. I guess we'll find out if the market can bear this instrument at this price.

Bottom line, I gotta try this.

Crazyquilt and LordByron like this.
  17. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

the arm contour throws the whole thing off and i don't like the look or placement of the 5-way at all, but i think this is probably the classiest acoustic/electric designs i've ever seen.

[​IMG]

those Taylor, Gibson, and Godin guitars are all very unfortunate. i could never own one of those.

EDIT: the headstock logo makes it look cheap. for that price they should have done an inlay on that as well, they could have done a great job with that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    2HBStrat and LordByron like this.
  18. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

This thing really has my interest. I play both acoustic and electric in my band, and I just run a single channel using an amp sim pedal for the electric bits. They also refuses to structure our setlist so that I'm not changing guitars every 2 songs. I definitely hope a MIM version comes out soon to give it a shot.

LordByron likes this.
  19. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

I've watched several demos. The acoustic sounds are reasonably good, but the electric sounds are truly horrible.

RocknPop and Crazyquilt like this.
  20. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    I don't know about horrible, but certainly none of the demos of the electric stuff has been in any way inspiring. But most of the focus in the demos so far has been on the acoustic tones. I'm hoping to see more on the electric tones in future demos to see whether the issue is the guitar or the demo. :dunno

Crazyquilt likes this.