Fender American Acoustasonic Series Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stonevibe, Jan 22, 2019.

1. myke232

myke232 Member

They had these several years back in tele and strat shapes...

If they use acoustic strings, then it's an acoustic guitar...

2. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Member

I go through charging cables like crazy, but I’ve never had the actual charging port break. I have wireless headphones, Sphero droids, Bluetooth speakers, and programmable remotes, but I’ve never had the charging port break.

YMMV.

MoarGear likes this.
  3. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

really like the sounds they get from them. I also love the look of the necks

NicDo and LordByron like this.
  4. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

My IT career penis is 20+ years long, fwiw, and my nerd tendencies are 30+ years deep. Countless devices and experience to date for these opinions.

As of today, for example, my buddy's iPhone 6 has this problem, my most recently retired HTC M9 has it, a generic USB flashlight I own has it, one high end USB hub has it. And that's just at a glance.

It doesn't have to "break", btw, they only have to bend or otherwise stretch out slightly to exhibit this problem. And it's not some crazy phenomenon, its thin bent aluminum metal, not steel.

5. feet

feet Supporting Member

i must be the only person on earth who thinks it is straight trash. i haven't poured through every demo, but it seems like they took all your favorite sounds and made them piezo-y. that's like an all you can eat buffet, but everything has been farted on. i get that weird, honk-y, neither/nor sound that i hear in acoustic irs that i can't stand. even the electric sounds were bad. and it is just odd looking, to top it all off. this looks like a great option if you want one expensive guitar that doesn't do anything well.

maybe it is better in person, but i haven't heard anything remotely intriguing as of yet, and that doesn't even take the price into account.

No_Stairway and Adagietto like this.
  6. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I'll weigh in.
    I bought a 2005 T5 koa, when they first came out. #2 sold in Portland, OR.
    I had it for close the 13 years, then sold it.
    My T5 felt great, settings 2 thru 5 are amazing. But setting 1, ( acoustic ) was horrible. I tried everything: amps, wound G string, etc. But to no avail. The one video demo described the two guitars well: Taylor trying to sound like a more of an electric, and the Fender more like an acoustic. Also, I bought the T5 for the Grestch sound ( setting 4) Eventually I bought a Black Falcon.
    For me, guitars like this are an attempt to be a hybrid. You don't need to bring an acoustic and an electric to a gig. I guess that can work. But now, I will carry two guitars ( electric or acoustic ) or two of the same.
    If I am mainly playing acoustic, I'm using my Gibson j45 deluxe. Electric? Gretsch, Fender, whatever the music needs.
    $2000.00 street is a lot of cash for me these days.
    I agree, they should have built this in Mexico, with quality control in Orange County.
    I think the Fender looks great, I have always liked Fishman pickups, and the modeling concept is appealing.
    Last thought, I agree with another post: I wonder how the Fender will cut through a live mix. My T5 always sounded thin, in the acoustic setting But the T5 rocked very well in the other settings.
    Overall .. great move Fender! Let's see more colors!

LordByron and Wolfboy1 like this.
  7. Jon@Home

Jon@Home Member

I love the sapwood fingerboard! I hope Fender starts doing this more.

NicDo and Okra like this.
  8. Strat-cat

Strat-cat Member

Hmm... I bet there are some interesting fingerstyle possibilities to be explored here.

9. InkStained

InkStained Member

If Michael Hedges were still alive, this would kill him.

10. Droliver

Droliver Member

While I totally dig the aesthetic, I don't really think it sounds like a nice acoustic guitar through the pickups, but rather more of the same piezo type sound.

No compelling reason to buy this at at 40%-50% price premium over a Godin A6, Ovation, or the very similar Kiessel Zeus acoustic if you want a thin body stage acoustic with proven performance.

Brig Gen Ripper likes this.
  11. loki1982

loki1982 Member

I have worked in electronics repair for nearly 6 years and can unequivocally say that charge ports get damaged, frequently. It is almost always user error of some sort, tripped over the cord while it was plugged in, negligently yanking the plug from the device by the cord, etc. And I have seen it on every type of device from every different manufacturer. Whether it is a lightning port on Apple devices, USB micro on Motorola or Samsung, or USB type C on LG.

Rumblemeister likes this.
  12. Brig Gen Ripper

Brig Gen Ripper Member

The Kiesel is the first thing I thought of when I saw this.

Droliver likes this.
  13. Okra

Okra Member

The fingerboard looks great and I am glad Fender is trying new things, but I don’t like the sound lesion.

14. MartinC

MartinC Member

I love the idea ... mostly for the acoustic tones ... a range of different acoustic tones, in a package that feels more like an electric guitar to play (tele deep C neck, tall narrow frets, tele sized body ... that sounds like my kind of acoustic. The Andertons demo has some great acoustic tones ... the electric pickup doesn't sound so good, but would need to hear in person. Hats off to Fender for doing something different.

Aesthetics are fine by me.

I tried the Taylor T5 and wasn't inspired ... it seemed limited on the acoustic tones.

The killer is the price ... AUD$3,600 ... in the same vicinity as the Taylor, but just way too expensive.

I am imagining these might be on special relatively quickly though.

LordByron likes this.
  15. Droliver

Droliver Member

That Kiesel Zeus headless acoustic is cool as hell and their LR Baggs sourced transducer sounds at least as good as this new Fender pickup system. I don't think any of them really sound like some breakthrough in acoustic guitar emulation over existing options, but they are what they are.

Brig Gen Ripper likes this.
  16. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

The "making of" video is well done & gives a clear picture of what they were trying to do, and how they did it. According to a Facebook post, "FYI - I was one of the designers of the T5 too. It's the grandfather of the new guitar!" It's also clear that this was intended as an acoustic, with some electric features, rather than true hybrid: The designers repeatedly refer to is as "a modern acoustic guitar."

I'll take one in surf green, pleaseandthankyou.

17. Newfie

Newfie Member

I'm an IT trainer and had to replace the micro-USB connector on my Samsung Note phone a few years back. If used normally and carefully you'll probably get years out of the usb port, but with the continual plugging and unplugging I'm thinking that after a while, like my cellphone port, it would have to be replaced. In my case, usb jacks kept falling out or failed to maintain a charge. Who knows, maybe my experience is just plain anecdotal? But I tend to baby my electronic toys, but not my guitars as much. Probably the best analogy, faulty or not, would be to compare it to the input jack on your guitar that gets loose after a while and you have to take it out and squeeze the tip/ring connector to make it hold the cable jack. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not gonna spend USD$2000 to find out ... I'm a cheap Canadian ... ;-)
    Take care

TonePilot likes this.
  18. steve_man

steve_man Member

Those were very different animals than this new model. Those had composite back/sides similar to an Ovation. Did not sound good at all. These look better... except for the price.

NicDo and LordByron like this.
  19. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Member

Now that I see that Reverend is introducing Korean guitars at $1900 I don't think the $2000 is out of line but it's still more than I would spend (for either). The fact that this has "American" in the name makes me think a MIM version as suggested above for $899 is probably very likely. And I would be a buyer for sure in that range.

In regards to the micro USB, to me the issue isnt just failure rate but the fact that they are hitting the market with an obsolete port. USB-C is the way of the land these days and is more robust, easier to use and would allow you to use/share any of the mass amounts of charging cables people already have hanging around. I shake my head any time anything in 2019 is introduced with a micro USB port.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    markophonic and LordByron like this.
  20. KarlH

KarlH Member

What is an IT career penis, and why do you measure its length in years?

kramerlover, TonePilot and LordByron like this.