Fender American Acoustasonic Series Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stonevibe, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I've got a T5..... This may be interesting but it's not "NEW NEW NEW" like they are marketing it. I'll play one but it will have to be great to replace my T5. ;)

2. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Some other member was using their whopping 10yrs of IT experience in an attempt to bolster their point, and I was making a joke in response.

3. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

Oh LOL, I get it. I thought it was spell check at it again!

MoarGear likes this.
  4. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

On anything with a micro USB my experience is the same but the charging port on my daughter's old iPhone went dead.

5. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

I remarked on another thread it looked like a chinese guitar from the 80's but now I leaning more towards a kids toy. From a far I dig the orange and black model, but $2000 for a faux wood print top kills it all. I know it's a real wood top, but they image on different wood grains, or whatever image you want, saw a US flag on one.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  6. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Seriously? That'd be a major selling point for this old pixel pusher, but I'm more than a bit dubious.

7. wornoutjunkie

wornoutjunkie Member

Oh no, looks absolutely wrong for me

No_Stairway likes this.
  8. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Member

Please link the source where you got this information. You are saying it's a photo print top?

9. steve_man

steve_man Member

I read this week that guitar sales are way down from 10 years ago... I think this insane price hiking is exactly why. 10 years ago, you could buy an American made Strat or Tele for $800-900 all day long. Now, that same guitar is $1400-1500. Even foreign guitars are getting silly in their pricing. These companies are pricing themselves out of profits, IMO.

10. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Member

As sales decline prices go up. It seems bizarre but the same thing is happening with phones. Apple went to a $1100 phone when the sales dwindled so they are making as much profit as before but with less product sold.

11. MartinC

MartinC Member

Watching the Sweetwater demo on YouTube, I would have to say that the evidence is mounting that the acoustic tones, which sound convincing recorded, are far superior to the electric tones, which sound like something I would never use.

I am still interested to try one ... the idea of something that feels like an electric to play, but does a range of different acoustic tones, has definite appeal to me ... especially if lighter string gauges work OK ... 11s or even 10s

12. MartinC

MartinC Member

I read an article on my Google news feed (can't remember the exact source) that said that the tops are screen printed. Given the price, my guess is that the grain that is visible on the top is real, since the top is Sitka spruce, but the colouration of the top is applied through screen printing.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how screen printing works, or how wood is usually coloured on guitar tops/bodies that are transparent. But I can't believe Fender would make a guitar that sells for US$2,000, using real Sitka spruce for the top, and finishes that with a photograph of wood grain.

LordByron likes this.
  13. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Here ya go:
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/te...acoustasonic-guitar-electric-acoustic-hybrid/

No mention of wood grain, however.

14. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

It is almost like money is worth less now than it did it before...

15. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

I'm going to copy and paste this post. This is from Facebook. This is how most people fell about the new product. Fender clubs included. Hardcore Fender fans and every one else. They seen to dislike the product. Some compaire it to the old model. I will include a video as well of some one elses opinion.

This new Fender has lodged in my brain. It's like they picked the worst aspects of several guitars and combined them. It's not an acoustic in any real sense because the top is like half an inch thick...but it's got a soundhole so it can feed back uncontrollably. It's got an acoustic bridge, so setting it up will be a nightmare. It's got a Tele-style pickup that isn't connected to the bridge, so none of the resonant coupling of the Tele pickup. It's bolt-neck. Gah...and it's $2000.

16. WayneM

WayneM Member

This guitar has a "tuned port" to minimize feedback.
    Before you finish your final assessment, try playing the guitar in person to create a more accurate opinion. I plan to this for myself.

Scooter, Z Boogieman and kselbee like this.
  17. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Member

TGP always amuses me. Love or hate the guitar $2000 for an American made semi-acoustic guitar with custom fishman electronics is not a bad price at all. It's high but such is the current state of the market. If Gibson has a USA Junior with vintage specs for $1500 it's overpriced and subpar according to the forums.

$1900 Reverends are defended as are $2500 Duesenbergs but god forbid that Fender or Gibson have models over $1200....no one will want them at that crazy price.

data_null and WayneM like this.
  18. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Not my post. I copied it from some one else. I like it myself. It is just the way they feel.

19. rollingdam

rollingdam Member

One guy hates it and you all hate it-herd mentality at its finest.

A professional musician making his living playing on cruise ships or weddings,corporate parties etc will love one of these. Only one guitar to bring and no one there cares what guitar you are playing.

Scooter, MLaVache, data_null and 2 others like this.
  20. tomtetom

tomtetom Member

Speaking as a player that needs a good thin-bodied acoustic to partner up with a quality solid body for shows, this looks like the answer to a lot of problems - and demos sound WAY better than the previous model. A6 and T5 just don't sound right to me for what I do (pop and blues in bands, duos and solo).

Yes, $2K will get you a Martin or a Taylor, but that's not solving the problem that this one addresses for a touring musician i.e. something that sounds acoustic (and I am thinking that I can further bolster this with IRs if needed) whilst having the dimensions of an electric. If it does what it *seems* to, then it'll pay for itself in a matter of weeks and I can retire #1 acoustic from the road.

I just have to get up the road and try one, but I have to be honest - if this delivers on its promise then one's coming home with me in the next week or so before touring season starts.

MartinC likes this.