Fender American Deluxe Telecaster - real or fake?

yltang

someone is selling a second hand Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
However, it looks a bit strange.
Can anyone please help me to identify if this is real or fake?

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
Hard to tell from just two photos but there are some suspicions.
The tuners have been changed and from the looks of the second pic, it doesn't have an S-1 switch.
The Fender headstock logo should reflective foil and it looks like the string tree is in the wrong position. Also, it should only say Fender Telecaster on the headstock, nothing else.
The neck plate should be contoured, not the square kind.
Finally, it should have a tummy cut.
The body MIGHT be an Am Dlx, but that neck definitely isn't.

Dunzie

There were some differences between my 2008 and my 2013, but I think Moosewayne is right that what looks suspicious to me are the tuners and the headstock, regardless of the swapped pickups. Both had locking F logo tuners, and the string tree was in a different spot. The headstock writing was embossed / raised lettering that is very hard to fake.

2008:

2013:

The 2013 has a compound radius neck that the 2008 didn't. But that guitar claiming to be a 2009 has some real noticeable differences from either generation I've had... I'm suspicious already. Ask for a close up of the headstock and back of the guitar. Both of mine had a belly cut and the contoured neck heel.

Good luck!

omfg51

Ask the seller lots and lots of questions, as specific as you can get.

After that, go with your gut. Honestly, if you feel something is up with this guitar, there is no shame in passing it up.

What's his asking price?

Fusionshred

Silver Supporting Member
That is an older Am Dlx Tele. I had one new. The tuners have been replaced. The body is correct. If original, the "Fender" logo should be chrome. There was NO S1 switch back then, IIRC. THis might be an American Deluxe body with either a different Fender or an aftermarket neck.

FWIW, they did come with rosewood board option but, again, the "Fender Telecaster" logo should look like chrome. If you can obtain better/high res photos we can guide you further. . .

dmsean

Ok I've got a 2000 deluxe strat, the older ones do not have the s1 switch, nor do they have the contoured neck joint, nor do they have the F on the locking tuners. They do have the foil logo.

The D in the beginning of the serial number designate the deluxe model.

YMMV.

I ended up doing a lot of research on the deluxe models due to the fact that my serial number does not have the D designation. I found that on the 2000 model not all of them had the D prefix due to a factory mix up.

Last edited: