Fender American Pro guitars

Cal Webway

How much thicker are the necks?

Are there specs out?
(I asume there is variability being wood, but curious on an 'average' size)

John C

Gold Supporting Member
How much thicker are the necks?

Are there specs out?
(I asume there is variability being wood, but curious on an 'average' size)

Check them out on Wildwood's site - they are posting the actual neck specs. I found Fender's "factory spec" on the last page of the Fender Service manual - evidently Fender started posting the neck specs in these with the models that came out at the January 2016 NAMM show (so they didn't go back and add this to the older models, just on the models going forward) - and it's supposed to be .820" at the first fret and .920" at the 12th fret. I believe the specs for the American Standard were the same (.820") at the first but more like .870" or .880" at the 12th fret. So they're not that much thicker, but the shape is best described as a "fuller C" - at least based on the 5 Strats and 1 Tele I've tried out. The shape does fill out your hand more than the American Standard shape - it has more shoulders, and while still a C shape it's getting closer to a U shape. But most of them aren't a whole lot thicker in depth than the old shape. They vary a lot - the Tele I tried had a fairly fat neck, as did 1 of the 5 Strats. But the other 4 were just a bit fatter than the typical American Standard.

All that being said these are all over the place in depth - the ones at Wildwood range from as thin as .800" at the first fret to as thick as .860" at the first fret. At the 12th fret they range from .900" to .950". The biggest neck is on a Strat; it's .860" at the first to .950" at the 12th.

Last edited:

Krausewitz

Same as what John C. said.

Shame they don't have many finishes, and the finishes they do have (for Strats at least) are pretty lame.

Cal Webway

Check them out on Wildwood's site - they are posting the actual neck specs. I found Fender's "factory spec" on the last page of the Fender Service manual - evidently Fender started posting the neck specs in these with the models that came out at the January 2016 NAMM show (so they didn't go back and add this to the older models, just on the models going forward) - and it's supposed to be .820" at the first fret and .920" at the 12th fret. I believe the specs for the American Standard were the same (.820") at the first but more like .870" or .880" at the 12th fret. So they're not that much thicker, but the shape is best described as a "fuller C" - at least based on the 5 Strats and 1 Tele I've tried out. The shape does fill out your hand more than the American Standard shape - it has more shoulders, and while still a C shape it's getting closer to a U shape. But most of them aren't a whole lot thicker in depth than the old shape. They vary a lot - the Tele I tried had a fairly fat neck, as did 1 of the 5 Strats. But the other 4 were just a bit fatter than the typical American Standard.

All that being said these are all over the place in depth - the ones at Wildwood range from as thin as .800" at the first fret to as thick as .860" at the first fret. At the 12th fret they range from .900" to .950". The biggest neck is on a Strat; it's .860" at the first to .950" at the 12th.

Wow, you're right! Not much diff from the Am Std, unless the shape has changed a bit.

Thanx.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Wow, you're right! Not much diff from the Am Std, unless the shape has changed a bit.

Thanx.

You're welcome - and the shape really has changed, while it's not much thicker than an American Standard on paper every American Professional I've tried has been "fuller" feeling for lack of a better description.

guitarlifestyle

I like guitars.
Silver Supporting Member
You're welcome - and the shape really has changed, while it's not much thicker than an American Standard on paper every American Professional I've tried has been "fuller" feeling for lack of a better description.
That echoes my experience. I've only tried one, but it felt fuller in my hand than the American Standards. It wasn't a big neck, but it did feel bigger than the previous necks.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom