Fender American Professional -- "Made in USA" no more?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zarl, Dec 7, 2016.

1. zarl

zarl Member

Just noticed that the headstock decal on the new Fender line no longer states "Made in USA" -- rather, it now just states "Corona, CA." Is a significant portion of the manufacturing being done now in the Mexico plant that prevents Fender from claiming that its made in USA? Not suggesting that this impacts quality of the guitar or anything like that.:) I actually like all the changes made -- pop-in arm, bone nut, thicker neck. Just wondering if anyone has insight on this subtle change in detail.

2016 American Standard:
    [​IMG]

2017 American Professional:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Doesn't California have unusually strict laws when it comes to having "made in USA" on a product?

3. zarl

zarl Member

4. TommyBaltimore

TommyBaltimore Member

California MIA law
    SECTION 1.
    Section 17533.7 of the Business and Professions Code is amended to read:

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, corporation, or association to sell or offer for sale in this state any merchandise on which merchandise or on its container there appears the words “Made in U.S.A.,” “Made in America,” “U.S.A.,” or similar words if the merchandise or any article, unit, or part thereof, has been entirely or substantially made, manufactured, or produced outside of the United States.
    (b) This section shall not apply to merchandise made, manufactured, or produced in the United States that has one or more articles, units, or parts from outside of the United States, if all of the articles, units, or parts of the merchandise obtained from outside the United States constitute not more than 5 percent of the final wholesale value of the manufactured product.
    (c) (1) This section shall not apply to merchandise made, manufactured, or produced in the United States that has one or more articles, units, or parts from outside of the United States, if both of the following apply:
    (A) The manufacturer of the merchandise shows that it can neither produce the article, unit, or part within the United States nor obtain the article, unit, or part of the merchandise from a domestic source.
    (B) All of the articles, units, or parts of the merchandise obtained from outside the United States constitute not more than 10 percent of the final wholesale value of the manufactured product.
    (2) The determination that the article, unit, or part of the merchandise cannot be made, manufactured, produced, or obtained within the United States from a domestic source shall not be based on the cost of the article, unit, or part.
    (d) This section shall not apply to merchandise sold for resale to consumers outside of California.
    (e) For purposes of this section, merchandise sold or offered for sale outside of California shall not be deemed mislabeled if the label conforms to the law of the forum state or country within which they are sold or offered for sale.

Roxy likes this.
  5. daveyrocks

daveyrocks Member

i literally just posted this in another thread at the same time. glad its not just me!

6. songtalk

songtalk Member

Welcome to the future. Sucks doesn't it? Shameful. They will raise the price too :)

7. zarl

zarl Member

Yeah, caught my attention too! I also noticed that the American Elite series don't have the "Made in USA" either. Didn't the prior American Deluxe have a "Made in USA" decal on the back of the headstock with the serial number? Like this:

[​IMG]

8. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Ah well....I guess it was only a matter of time before it happened. No more Made in U.S.A. Now it's "Made in too-many-places-to-list-and-some-we'd-rather-not-tell-you". Hang onto your MIA Fenders everyone!

Especially when all Fenders are made of synthetics...

According to another thread, every species of wood that most often goes into a guitar is eventually getting protected status and placed on the CITES endangered list. Sheesh! I'm not surprised to hear it, though. I've been expecting that for a while now.

The world's goin' to hell in a bucket, I tells ya.

Sp8ctre, Lt Dak, pressure and 2 others like this.
  9. Alex Najarian

Alex Najarian Member

Well, I am about all stocked up on guitars, as much as I need to be and I think most other members here can say the same thing.

10. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Member

Why do I have the urge to check Twitter?

:anon

11. zarl

zarl Member

I wonder if its the hardware that has changed manufacturing to other countries? Or are some of the key components (body, neck) now being at least partially manufactured outside the US?

Or, maybe none of the manufacturing processes have actually changed, but Fender is just now getting in compliance with the "Made in USA" laws.

12. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

I'm glad to read they went with a fuller neck on these. I'll definitely give one a try but there's no way I would buy one at $1,900 Canadian plus tax.

Maybe they went with Corona, CA, just to differentiate that it's a new model? Just a thought.

John Hurtt and TTHX like this.
  13. DrewH

DrewH Member

California has strict laws now on what you can stamp "made in the USA". Is is an unreasonable percentage of the product. Music man also had to take it off their guitars. There is no 100% made in the USA guitar. Sure, they are cutting bodies and necks, doing the assembling, & painting them. But, pots, fretwire, tremolos, plastic parts, etc are being made in different parts of the world.

This is strictly a Cali thing and its new. They are more than likely made exactly as they were before.

14. MattC

MattC Member

Before you guys get all doom and gloom on this, understand that the FTC and some states' "Made in the USA" statutes and policies are very stringent. Just because they're not going to make such a product claim doesn't mean a significant part of the product isn't made/assembled domestically. Basically, if anything more than a very minute part of production costs is foreign-sourced, you can't say Made in the USA. So, if you have some foreign component that makes up, say 4 or 5 percent of the production cost, you could get in trouble if you say "Made in the US" instead of a more qualified statement like "assemble in US" or "assembled in us w foreign domestic parts."

I'm sure guitar and amp manufacturers violate these policies/laws all the time.

15. Alex Najarian

Alex Najarian Member

The business world is not that innocent.

16. Alex Najarian

Alex Najarian Member

That's it. I am convinced now that Fender Stratocasters are currently made out of Chinese marshmallows.

17. eSS eSS

eSS eSS Member

If you notice the difference WITHOUT looking at the decal let me know.

18. John C

John C Supporting Member

It is this. It started at the beginning of this year. If you check the American Elites, only those produced in 2015 have the "Made in USA" decal on the back of the headstock; same with The Edge Signature Stratocaster. As the posted law says it has to 95% USA content. That legal folks are guitar manufacturers have interpreted this to include raw materials like oh "wood". Most of the wood isn't sourced in the USA (maple from Canada, rosewood from India, etc.). I suspect that the foreign content of an American Pro is exactly the same as your American Standard that says "Made in USA" - probably 15-20% of the wholesale price content is from outside the USA when you factor in the cost of the wood.

It's not just Fender; EBMM, G&L and Schecter's USA Custom Shop no longer say "Made in USA" so it's pretty much all California-based manufacturers. They are afraid of getting hit with a class action lawsuit over product labeling.

19. songtalk

songtalk Member

As they very well should be.

Sp8ctre and Gonkboy like this.
  20. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

All real Clapton's are made in the Corona, CA facility. If you saw Chinese manufactured EC strats, you saw counterfeits.