Fender American Professional series to be discontinued...?

Golem

Supporting Member
I like them, but the prices I've seen used on them leaving me scratching my head (and I tend to buy used). Lets hope the next generation is as good or better. I still like Am Std models and I was pleasantly surprised by an Am. Special I picked up (was modded with Pearly Gates). So, there are plenty of used options that I can go for if the prices don't go down.

Arcadia

Supporting Member
I own a Pro Strat. It's a really good guitar, IMHO. I love the neck and the look of the antique olive color with black pickguard and maple board. Plus, it's the only guitar my wife ever bought me.

My guess is that they're going to rerelease basically the same guitar but with new colors and without the V Mod pickups. Maybe they'll go back to one of the "Fat" pickups models that people seem to love.

Cam1936

Some would say Fender's success hinges at least partly on the fact that they are constantly revamping their lineup. Others could argue that they move around WAY too much instead of keeping at least some semblance of a core lineup.

It's the same line up just with slightly different specs and new marketing every time.

American Standard is the exact same and a American Pro. Slightly different neck carve and different pick ups. Big whop.

I think it's better to have a line up that's timeless. It makes it easier buying things on the used market. I guess if it works it works.

spencer096

American Standard is the exact same and a American Pro. Slightly different neck carve and different pick ups. Big whop.

I think it's better to have a line up that's timeless.
if theyre the same guitars year after year with almost no major changes, and theyre consistently serviceable and somewhat remain in demand on the used market, isn't that the very definition of timeless?

TubeStack

Supporting Member
It's the same line up just with slightly different specs and new marketing every time.

I think it's better to have a line up that's timeless. It makes it easier buying things on the used market. I guess if it works it works.
Having owned both, there is a huge difference in the neck carve and frets between a Standard and Am Pro. Much prefer the latter.

TubeStack

Supporting Member

fjrabon

My guess is they’ll keep the Am Pro Strat (with new colors) but change up most of the other lines.

jamester

Silver Supporting Member
In regards to the Tele's, I think the bridge change is a huge difference from the Am. Std. model.

Also doing away with the body contour from the later versions of the Am. Std's.

meterman

I played and couple and thought they were great, almost bought one but I prefer a vintage style 6 screw trem. Really nice neck and the bridge humbucker sounded killer.

John C

Silver Supporting Member
Back in November of last year when the American Ultras came out Fender's CEO mentioned they were now on a 4-year product life cycle. The American Ultras came out in November 2019 and replaced the American Elite models that came out in January 2016. American Professionals came out in early December 2016, so their replacements will be out sometime between now and November.

There have been a couple of posts over on Strat-Talk where people have heard from dealers that it will be more than just new colors - I would expect new pickups (because they always do new pickups) for sure. Potential changes could be to the fretwire or the neck shape. I suspect if the neck shape stays the same the name will continue to be American Professional; if the neck shape changes then the name will probably change - if they go back to the Modern C shape then I could see the American Standard name coming back, but if the neck shape is something new then they will get a new name.

And of course there will be the obligatory $100 price increase.

Trending Topics