Fender American Stancdard Bridge Help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by pacoros, Mar 2, 2008.

1. pacoros

pacoros Member

My question is that , because it was designed to float when i set it flat the tremolo arm have a not very confortable angle, ..

If i install a vintage style trem arm? willl it be paralel to the body?

any other options ? i gess i should change the whole trem , is there any direct replacement in the vintage style but with the 2 pivots ?

any help apreciated.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

just bend the arm until it's at a comfortable angle. (not while it's on the guitar, of course.)

3. pacoros

pacoros Member

Thanks for your response

ummm... bricolage...

any other options, does a vintage style trem bar will fit and solve the angle thing,..??

also does change the sadles make a big improvement ? will it become more "vintage sounding"??

4. SLBlues

SLBlues Member

I recently installed Callaham Vintage style saddles and block on my MIA strat and set it up with trem tight to the body (not floating). I'm not sure I would say it is more vintage sounding, but the sustain is much better. I had it set up with the bridge floating before the changes so the increase in sustain was probably a combo of all the changes. The tone was pretty nice IMO before the changes and may have improved slightly. Can't help with the trem bar issue, just bent mine slightly, although I seldom use it.

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

The first thing I would mention is the fact that if you set your trem flush against the body and still use the trem, there will be an audible sound of the trem hitting into the body every time you let off the arm. If you can live with this, then it's not a big deal to bend the trem arm to whatever angle you're comfortable with (different trem arm lengths are worth checking out too). But, if you're dropping the trem in order solve a problem (tuning stability, string tension or trem stiffness), there are other options I'd try first.

As far as upgrading the saddles and trem block, I too am a big fan of the Callaham hardware. The sustain and note clarity are noticably improved.