Fender American Standard HSS Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by authen, Feb 8, 2008.

1. authen

authen Member

I'm seriously considering selling my 2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded and buying the new Fender American Standard HSS Strat. I play my 1977 Strat with a stacked SD humbucker more and I like the feel of the Strat more than the LP. Has anyone tried the "NEW" HSS American Standard Strat? Any thoughts?

John

2. aps

aps Member

My dad bought one to use more instead of his '83 Fender Elite Strat but he returned it the following day because he wanted all single coils and not a humbucker. If you want that HB sound then I say go to a local store and give it a whirl. It played very nice as all Fenders but my dad just wasn't satisfied with the tone.

After he returned it, he bought a Custom Shop which he also returned due to faulty wiring that he didn't want to bother fixing.

Hope I helped and happy guitar shopping!

aps

3. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

I played a new american strat today.... wasnt an HSS though... I was very impressed! love the new blizzard pearl color.... fit and finish were excellent! I am on the bandwagon!

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Great guitars, Im really impressed with the new american standard guitars

5. supar6

supar6 Member

I second that! They've come a LONG way since last year. Better finish on the maple boards, better saddles, pickups must be different as they sound a bit better as well. AND - last but not least - a NICE FREAKIN CASE!!!!

I played on an HSS new strat which sounded nice. I'm not sure if I would keep the bridge pup as there are just so many other options but all in all for the money a nice guitar.

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

You know how subjective this stuff is? I checked out quite a few and get to take them for test runs. My take on that stuff is now there is thick finish on the maple board, I was disappointed with that. Now it looks and feels like goopy, instead of a nice satin that will wear through. The cheap dyed rosewood Fender uses, now has gloss on it like on MIM strats and teles. Cheaper looking and feeling bridge, thin looking base plate, and block is not full steel. Case is bulky and giant plastic latches that are sure to crack when loading up gear in sub zero weather.

I do like the neck profile and fretwork on the new ones.

7. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Member