Fender American Standard Telecasters - Best Year?

Buelligan

The 1996 Am Stand Tele is the best year. All Fenders came with a nifty "50 Years of Excellence" decal behind the headstock that year. It really improves the tone and resonance and chicks dig it.

Mine was signed off by J. Servin. I'd love to meet that guy one day. No idea who he is or what he does for Fender, but his name is on my guitar.

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
Lots of articles/thread posts on the history and evolution of Fender American series/standard guitars post CBS...

IMO the newest examples are the 'best of the breed' right now, out of the box. Custom shop pickups, good hardware, better finishing and setup than previous years (and I've always had a soft spot for American standard guitars) but if I was looking for one I'd stick try to stick to years 2012+. I happen to dig the belly cut.

Similar to how all the American car makers are putting out some of the best american v8 cars of all time ... who knows how long it will last..

shane8

hey 55s are the biz .... :p

.... if you're looking for that "special keeper" it could be from any year ..... but fenders have been pretty consistent for a while now

I'm no fan of that model -- much prefer the barrel bridge design. Best year though? Start with the year they introduced the horrific body contour and go one back.

Average Joe

I like the current ones. I have a 08 that i a really fine instrument, but i had a chance to try a couple in a store this weekend and i think i like the new bridge pickup better

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
the AM STD tele is remarkably unchanged over its entire history. i like the neck shape of the post '90s ones more, and the post '12 pickups are better, but there's really no "bad" years or "good" years for these.

that said i'd take a hot rod RI or even an american special or HWY 1 tele instead, i just much prefer the vintage bridge (which will not retro-fit).

ferrell

I had a 2004 that's was awesome.sounded great completely stock.it walked the line perfectly between country twang and "stones tone" rock. im a complete dumbass for selling that guitar

MattC

Silver Supporting Member
I like my 2015. Pups are real nice. But admittedly, I'm not nearly as versed in tele variations as I am LPs...

IRG

I have a 2014 American Strat. Now, obviously not a tele, but the quality, playability and tone is really great. Little details that you might not realize all come together to make this a great playing guitar, and I imagine and hope/expect the American Teles since 2013 (or is it 12) would be similar, as I'm also shopping for a Tele now.

The current AmStan Teles are different from the '52s, and all the classic reissues. They are more modern for playability and better intonation, although most will claim (rightfully so) that a traditional tele with a proper setup can have just as good of intonation and playability. Won't argue this fact. But the tummy tuck, modern bridge, and top shelf pickups plus a great modern feeling neck, all combine to make the current Standards a pretty good value overall.

stratplexi

Silver Supporting Member
I foolishly sold a 2013 that might have had the best bridge pickup tone I have heard. The custom shop pickups they are putting in the new Teles are no joke. I also liked the tummy tuck although traditionalists prefer a slab. I actually had no issues with the modern bridge and while it may have affected the tone, as I said, the bridge pickup tone was killer. Mine was ash with maple neck/fretboard and it weighed 6.8 lbs. It was a monster! I should have kept it and I have been looking for another one for months...just haven't seen the right one yet.

Bought a 2018 mim fsr butterscotch tele awhile back and I will say it is a fine guitar. a little on the heavy side but other than that great guitar. Awesome tones and neck feels great.

Trending Topics