Fender American Strat: Mount a lefty neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 30secs, Mar 1, 2012.

1. 30secs

30secs Member

Can I successfullly mount and use a lefty American Strat neck on my righty american strat?

2. Strat87

Strat87 Member

Yup. You'll need a new nut though

3. 30secs

30secs Member

CRAP! I knew it was too good to be true. How much is that going to run me?

4. Jammer2393

Jammer2393 Member

Im assuming your right handed and want to go for the flipped headstock, right?

5. 30secs

30secs Member

I am right handed.. looking to switch necks.. lefty is what i see for cheap on CL. Why?

6. Phoenix59

Phoenix59 Member

Oh, they cost a FORTUNE.

;)

7. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

...well there are not that many left-handed guitar players and many of us gave up and learned to play on right-handed guitars long time ago.

8. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Supporting Member

Chances are very good that you can flip the existing nut for free. They are typically only helpd on with a drop or two of white glue. I changed mine in like 5 seconds (plus drying time).

9. 30secs

30secs Member

Haha.. that's awesome... but what about labor?! i dont think i can/should do it myself..

10. 30secs

30secs Member

I actually am a lefty. But i play righty guitars.. always felt weird to play lefty.. i do play tennis with my left hand tho.

Really?! that's awesome!!

11. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

Yes, flipping the nut was a good idea -- why didn't I think of that? Doh. If you are not sure how to do it, take it to a technician and don't expect to pay more than $25 for that two minute operation.

As for left-handed guitar players, the only time I've had a hard time using right-handed guitars, basses, was in the beginning when doing slap bass playing as the left hand for us lefties is the one that is more natural for doing complex rhythms. But it's all doable after a little bit of practice.

12. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Just flipping the nut isn't a great idea, although it will work in the short term.

If the nut was cut even remotely close to right to begin with, the nut slots slope downward from the neck toward the headstock. If you just flip it, the slope goes the other direction - from the headstock toward the neck. This means that every open chord you play is going to be out of tune.

Those GFS nuts work fine in a pinch - and for just a couple bucks, it's no big deal.

Or, you can get a piece of Corian from home depot and learn to do them yourself!

13. L_Totti

L_Totti Member

Flip it. Well , that was what Hendrix used to do...