• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Fender american Vintage 62 Stratocaster 1993

Jezza6692

Hey guys does anyone have any experience with the American vintage line of the 90s are they as good as the 2012 line? I've found a really good deal on a American vintage 62 Strat that was made in the 1993 and comes with all the case candy ect in lake placid blue that's faded to more of a ocean turquoise colour Its got custom shop Texas specials installed I've heard they sound pretty Thick and Mid heavy but any opinions on the pickups would be nice too
Thanks
Jamie

voggin

I have a 93 62 re-issue. I bought it new. It's still my favourite guitar. I have never adjusted the truss rod! The rosewood on the board is unbelievable. I haven't played one of the newer ones, but you certainly won't be disappointed by the 93 if you get it (provided it's as good as mine!)

Jezza6692

I have a 93 62 re-issue. I bought it new. It's still my favourite guitar. I have never adjusted the truss rod! The rosewood on the board is unbelievable. I haven't played one of the newer ones, but you certainly won't be disappointed by the 93 if you get it (provided it's as good as mine!)
Is it true the finish is polyurethane instead of nitrocellulose? Or is that for late 90 reissues? :)

voggin

I'm pretty sure mine is nitro, at least the top coat, from the way it smells and how it has aged. Mine's that yellow-y colour that I think they call white of some kind, and it has changed a lot over the years.

tele1951

Gold Supporting Member
I had an '88 and a '93. Both very nice guitars but the '62 neck was a little small for my taste and hands.

gkoelling

No experience with the '63 but had a set of Texas Specials in an early 90s Am Std with a rosewood board. I was real happy with them. I bought them when they first came out. They seemed to give some push to the amp but still had that classic Strat tone.

Parlorman

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve also got a 93 62 re-issue. I like the guitar a lot including the neck and original pickups. It’s the white that ages to a creamy yellow.

Unfortunately it doesn’t get much play and I’m considering selling it. Near mint condition with all the case candy except the phono cord.

View media item 138038

Last edited:

RLP

I’ve also got a 93 62 re-issue. I like the guitar a lot including the neck and original pickups. It’s the white that ages to a creamy yellow.

Unfortunately it doesn’t get much play and I’m considering selling it. Near mint condition with all the case candy except the phono cord.

View media item 138038
She's a beauty, man. Aged white looks killer. I'm about to buy one of these - it's a 1993 62 AVRI -that looks almost new, which makes me wonder what the finish is. The guy says that it's definitely not the same as his 59 reissue, but that it does seem to be nitro. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Is it a different type of nitro? Is it nitro over poly?

Thanks.

John Carson

Silver Supporting Member
I have a '92 62AVRI in Daphne Blue and I believe its some sort of mix of nitro with a poly undercoat. The neck was a little small so I replaced it and put Florence Voo Doo ST60 pickups in it.

RLP

Appreciate the input. Really thought these were 100% nitro, since they're vintage reissues and had been introduced to bring Fender back to its roots... I guess I'll pass...

Last edited:

RLP

My 2000 AV62 is nitro over poly, I believe.

I think the 90s were the same.
Whatever they have/had, should be the same across all 3 iterations (82-84, 85-98 and 98-2012); however, @Luke V says his is poly, so i don't know... Maybe it's a Japanese one? Or maybe my previous statement is wrong? What I do know is that they changed the whole series in 2012 (deemed simply American Vintage) and introduced the flash-coat nitro. These are supposed to be the most accurate ones and their specs are easy enough to find, unlike the AVRIs...

Luke V

Silver Supporting Member
Whatever they have/had, should be the same across all 3 iterations (82-84, 85-98 and 98-2012); however, @Luke V says his is poly, so i don't know... Maybe it's a Japanese one? Or maybe my previous statement is wrong? What I do know is that they changed the whole series in 2012 (deemed simply American Vintage) and introduced the flash-coat nitro. These are supposed to be the most accurate ones and their specs are easy enough to find, unlike the AVRIs...
No, mine is N AVRI that I’ve owned since ‘93. The only ones that I know that are nitro are the hot rod series.

mr zurkon

I have an '87 and '90 and they're poly or some strong combo of finishing, haven't aged hardly at all.

I have the 2012 65 reissue and the finish chips and dings up by just looking at it.

RLP

I've played a couple late 90s ones that were definitely nitro. Could be nitro over poly, though... But nitro all around? Weird... I guess I'll just pass. Too bad, 'Cause the deal was great...

Thanks for the help, everyone.

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
Unless your '87 and '90 are MIJ, then they are nitro top color coats.

I have an '87 and '90 and they're poly or some strong combo of finishing, haven't aged hardly at all.

I have the 2012 65 reissue and the finish chips and dings up by just looking at it.

Trending Topics