Fender Amp Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TraceItalian, Apr 12, 2015.

1. TraceItalian

TraceItalian Member

So I'm thinking of selling my Fender Red Knob Twin (anyone have good reasons I shouldn't?), my friend is offering me $600, so now I'm trying to decide what I'd like to get to replace it. It's slim pickings around here, but I've been browsing my local craigslist and narrowed it down to a 90s reissue '59 Bassman and a non-MV silverface twin, they're both hovering around $1000 and look to be in pretty good condition, so can anyone give me some personal experiences or opinions on which is better quality/sound/value?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I'd go for the Silverface personally. Especially if it's early SF. Do you know what year it is?

3. low_fidelity210

low_fidelity210 Supporting Member

When you can pickup an early silver face bandmaster or bassman for less than $600, I dunno why you'd even hesitate to sell the red knob twin. Take that $600 and grab yourself a much nicer amp and probably still have a little money left over.
    Also I dunno where you're at, but $1,000 is a bit high for a silverface twin, even a really early sf. Around here at least. Shop around and be patient and you can find a much better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

SF Twin, even the MV amps sound good.

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Why sell the red knob only to buy a SF? They are not that different. $1000 is too high for a SF twin also.

6. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Of the three I would choose the SF Twin however that price is way too high for a SF twin.

7. jpervin

jpervin Member

I've played a few Twins and they sounded very clean and 3D, but I wouldn't want to schlep that thing around much.

I owned a '59 Bassman RI with blue frame Jensen alnico speakers. Though it did not have the cleans that the Twins had, it was a great-sounding amp in it's own right, and several pounds lighter! Had to sell it years ago when I was in a financial bind. Wish I had it back!

I'd go with the Bassman.

8. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

Getting $600 for a red knob twin is excellent and I agree with the others that $1k for a SF Twin is a bit steep. So, if you're paid more than a red knob twin is worth, and then you pay more than a SF Twin is worth, then I consider the prices offset.

If the SF Twin is comparatively clean for a (heavy) 40-ish year-old amp and you're able to talk the seller down to $900, then do the deal, sell the red knob, and don't look back.

And contrary to what a previous member stated, the Red Knob "The Twin" and a SF Twin Reverb are very different amps... and believe it or not, the SF Twin is probably lighter weight than the red knob!

9. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

70's MV twins seem to $400-$600 for completed ebay sales.
    Some non RI BF have gone as low as $500, probably not in good shape.
    70's non MV look to be $550-800. 800 being pristine.

10. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

I loathe those red knob Twins. Terrible amps and legendary for their unreliability.

$600 for that POS would be a gift from the heavens. Jump on it and buy either the SF Twin Reverb or the Bassman. Two wonderful amps.

You left out crucial parts of the equation such as the style of music you play, the guitars you play with, etc. But the bottom line is if you want tons of headroom, grab the TR. if you prefer breakup, go for the Bassman.

11. TraceItalian

TraceItalian Member

The person selling doesn't know, it used to belong to their kid (Bonus, haunted amp!). I asked if she'd be willing to bring it by a friend to give it a look over.

It's partially easy of maintenance, my local shop takes a bit longer whenever I ask them to work on it or give it a look over, because they know when it's time it's going to be a nightmare that will take forever. And I really don't know the average price of twins, it's usually what they go for around here and it's the average price for pre-MV SF Twins on reverb.

Yea, I know, the damn thing just drives me up the wall. But my friend likes it, claims it sounds "Dumble-y" but that's not really something that I would even consider caring about.

I kinda go all over the map in terms of with what music I play, but my equipment differs, when I'm playing one genre I use about 8 pedals and with another I use no pedals and only natural distortion (which is why I'm thinking about keeping the RK, the Hi/Lo switch and removing the middle 2 tubes puts it at 15 watts, making it really easy to push without crushing people). I play a Fender Toronado with Fralin Big Singles and custom wiring (I dunno how important the wiring is, but my tech said my request was kind of a wonky idea so I feel it's worth mentioning). With the naturally distorted sound, I usually turn the amp to around 8, have my neck volume setting at 3, my both pick-ups in series volume set at 7-8, so I can switch clean to distortion without dancing around.

12. LJD

LJD Member

I miss my beast, a.k.a. my Red Knob Twin. Very underrated. Pull 2 tubes and it's manageable, but still so heavy.

You won't, and shouldn't, ever get more than $600 dollars for that amp. That's a miracle.