1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Fender Amp for clean tone - Help please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stuart Law, Apr 21, 2016.

Which way to go???

1. '65 Twin Reverb Reissue (used) 85w at GBP500

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 70s/80s SF (used) at 100w or 135w at GBP800

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Something else (please comment!)

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Stuart Law

Stuart Law Member

Hi All - I'm getting my lad set up for his new band and they will be playing small-medium venues. He has a Mustang II at home and never plays it on anything other than the '65 Twin Reverb Setting.

He wants a Fender tube amp that will give him reliable clean tone in a live environment (usually mic'd I guess) - he will use pedals for any OD. He wants reverb and tremolo in the amp if possible. He is very heavily influenced by the sound of Johnny Marr, John Squire, and rockabilly. He wants clean, sparkle, twang.

I've spent hours reading the reviews online and youtube and here's where I am at - would really value any advice you experienced guys can offer. We are UK based and the reality is we can't ship an amp in from the US within budget, nor can we chase around the country trying out used amps:

- 'Twin Amp' (the 100/25 watt version) breaks up earlier and has a drive channel he will not use, the low watt option seems useful but i think it renders the term useless - not sure if it improves the clean tone or not (GBP500)
    - New reissues (Deluxe, Vibroluxe) break up too early and are not of the quality of the older original Fender tube amps - don't think these give him the sound he wants (GBP1000)
    - Original blackface Twin Reverb amps way too expensive and out of the question! (GBP2500+)
    - Reissue Twin Reverb 85w (not the SF), used is a possibility (GBP500)
    - A used/original 1970s-1980s SF Twin Reverb is looking favourite - yes it's still heavy but it will give him the tone he wants and will be of a higher quality than a reissue (GBP800)
    - Of the original SF Twin Reverb's, the push/pull master volume versions which add drive are probably not the ones, those with a fixed Master Volume may be suitable, those with no Master Vol will be early versions and more expensive.

I know speakers is also an important factor (groan!) and my preference I think is stock Fender blue label (in a SF) rather than upgraded Eminence or Jensen.

Maybe I'm over-thinking the entire thing :) - all thoughts/guidance very much appreciated! Cheers.

James G likes this.
  2. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

Only reservation I'd have about the Twin Reverb is that it's very heavy and very loud.

Other than that it's a great amp especially for clean tones.

Non master volume silverface would be a fine choice if the price is right...although the original speakers might be junk.

Stuart Law likes this.
  3. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

You should go to Andertons if you're in the UK, they seem to have a very large selection and this will allow you try try different amps before you make any decisions on a purchase

Stuart Law likes this.
  4. b80

b80 Member

Will all gigs be mic'd? Will practice with the band be mic'd? What style of music? What drive pedals will be used? I'd go with the Super Reverb. Can get loud enough to get over a drummer and will sound great with just about any pedal you throw at it. Twin would be a great choice as well if you want the extra watts (and weight).

Jabberwocky likes this.
  5. zenas

zenas Member

I've got a 65 BFTR and a 77 100 watt master/pull boost. I play the 77 90% of the time they're pretty close but the 77 has a lower efficiency speakers thay give it the edge. If I cross hook the speakers the BFTR wins.
    The MV sucks on those so you keep it on 10 all the time and don't pull it.
    I stay away from the early SFTRs because of dog turd caps (in some), lower voltage and higher price. But they have they're fans just not me.

6. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

I'm not sure you are on the right track.
    Small Medium rooms mic'd with a 100 watt amp?
    Not in 2016.
    Not if your boy wants any repeat gigs.
    A Princeton/Deluxe/Vibrolux is more realistic.

7. zenas

zenas Member

Good point. As much ad I love both my Twin Reverbs they stay home alot. The Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverbs and some other small amps get used.

8. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

Eric Johnson, last I heard, has stopped using Deluxe Reverbs for his clean tones and has gone back to using Twin Reverbs.

Dad love mom likes this.
  9. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

If it were me, I'd pick up one of those newer Deluxe Reverb heads and a 1x12 cab.
    22W, reverb & trem, takes pedals well.

10. Wibcs39

Wibcs39 Member

Amps have a volume knob for a reason...I have gigged small rooms with a Twin before with no issues. If the guy wants pure, lush cleans at band volumes a Princeton or Deluxe is likely going to be a big disappointment, though a Vibrolux is a good suggestion. There is no reason a Twin would be too loud for small gigs UNLESS you turn it up too loud, and that could happen with any amp.

zenas likes this.
  11. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Deluxe Reverb + Badcat Unleash?

12. James G

James G Member

I bought the 68 Princeton Custom reissue from Andertons, lovely cleans and takes pedals well. Also surprisingly loud.

13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I've yet to see an amp without a volume knob. If he wants clean, he wants headroom, and you get plenty of that with a Twin. Doesn't mean he has to use it all. I have a couple of 100 watt amps I play bar gigs with, and I mic them too.

dwoverdrive likes this.
  14. deech54

deech54 Member

Silverface Twin, Super, or Pro Reverb. Also check out Dr.Z.

15. rummy

rummy Member

+1 on Deluxe.

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

-1 on Deluxe. Not a good choice if clean headroom is the goal. They break up pretty early. They won't stay clean over any drummer I play with.

eigentone and dwoverdrive like this.
  17. Spec

Spec Member

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (1x12) or Deville (4x10)

Very popular backline amps. Great clean tone.

Jabberwocky likes this.
  18. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Best choice is moving up to a Mustang III v2. Night and day difference between the MIII and MII.

ibis likes this.
  19. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

This. DRs shine at that awesome light breakup sound, but for reliable clean headroom per the OP, no. A twin sounds just as good clean at low volume as a DR and you have flexibility of clean all the way up to stadium level if you are using pedals. Only downside is the weight but other than that you can gig a twin anywhere you can gig a DR if you are not looking for amp overdrive. Under 40 watts does not equal clean headroom imo, even if you are micing and it is just for stage sound.

20. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

Thank you. I dont understand the whole fear of venues never asking you to play again because your amp was too big. That has never happened to me in 20 years. I have one amp that I generally gig with and its a 100 watt head with a 4x12. It has a volume knob. Honestly if there is a mic going in front of your speaker and your stage volume is good, theres no problem.
    I cant imagine how many drummers have been banned from some of these venues then.....