1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fender Amp FUZZ which one?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BudLite, Jul 21, 2006.

1. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

So far the best I've tried is the AM sunface nkt, anyone using the london fuzz? hows that, ...or lovepedal, do they work through BF's ,..in particular a BFDR? opinions or suggestions please....Thanks

2. wleeds

wleeds Member

I had the same question and just ordered a Top Fuel this morning.
    Now I want to fast forward 6 weeks for delivery.
    mark

3. BudLite

Is the top fuel germanium or silicone?

4. 1968

1968 Member

you cant go wrong with the London and the Sun Face.

5. cameron

cameron Member

Fuzz for rhythm, or as a lead boost?

For rhythm I'd say a fuzz-face kind of thing (many fine boutique clones to choose from). For lead boost, I'd suggest a Tone Bender kind of thing (Soul Bender and Yardbox are good options, though there are plenty of others to choose from as well.)

6. Craise

Craise Member

Any Bjfe Fuzzes.
    Candy Apple (Hot Silicon)
    Folk Fuzz (Germ)
    Pink Purple (Hybrid)
    They all sound great with my 64 Princeton.
    Lots of volume and tone control. Many usable tones around the knobs..
    not just the 3clock or more settings like most fuzzes.
    They are a step above all boutique "vintage clones" IMHO!
    As with all of Bjorn's stuff these fuzzes have the "Bjfe Feel" to them.
    They still have the classic tones of the vintage fuzzes but with more colors and more volume to work with.
    These are classics tweeked by the "Mad Professor" himself.
    He really takes your normal fuzz face to another level.
    My favorite is the Folk Fuzz.
    :)

7. eric-d

eric-d Member

I have both the NKT-275 Sunface and a Germanium London Fuzz and they both give me the same problems as any other fuzz I've ever owned when used with a Fender Amp. By themselves, they're bright, brittle, and lack any amount of sustain. With a overdrive after it, it's complete mud. It's a lost cause.

8. BudLite

WoW Craise, through a princeton reverb, I would think it would rip the speakers apart....(great amp BTW) never heard of folk fuzz, who makes that?

9. AL30

AL30 Member

To my ears a Fuzz sound much better through a Marshall style amp. Not so good through a Fender.

AL

10. gururyan

gururyan Member

After trying many, many fuzz pedals with my Blues Deluxe...the MJM London (germ) finally did the trick. The ToneFactor Huckleberry is also on my board because it gives me great fuzz tones not covered by the London (and vice versa). I do plan to get a Skreddy Screwdriver and would like to try the D*A*M 1966 out as well.

monkmiles likes this.
  11. Craise

Craise Member

I should also add, I'm using a LP and SG with Classic 57 Humbuckers. So that's my only perspective, I don't own a strat or tele these days.
    The Folk Fuzz is made by The Mad Professor Bjorn Juhl (BJF Electronics)
    He makes many models, They are pricey but hand made and fine tuned by one man BJ. Do some searches on musictoyz.com forums for BJF and you will find many reviews. The Folk Fuzz isn't a full on model, but I think BJ has said that he will make them for anyone that wants one. PM Dean (pinkstrat) or email him at [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]leomuser@aol.com[/FONT] for orders. Also tonefactor, Musictoys and custom sounds.
    Check out donners site http://www.bjfelectronics.com/

12. cameron

cameron Member

Depends how it's being used. The raunchy 60s fuzzes, like the Mosrite Fuzzrite, and the Jordan Bosstone sound better through a clean amp than an amp that's already broken up. They'd be fine with a Marshall, but best if you dial up your Marshall clean. They're perfect with a BF Fender, which was their target platform when they were developed.

Likewise the 70s fuzzes like the Big Muff tend to sound muddy if the amp is already distorting. They work better with a clean amp too.

Fuzz Face and Tone Bender style fuzzes work very well with Marshalls (non-surprisingly, these are originally British designs) and the Tone Bender also works very well with Fenders insofar as the fat mids you get with the tone knob all the way up really thickens up your lead sound, thereby comensating for the "scooped" sound of a BF Fender.

13. AL30

AL30 Member

Cameron,

Good points. Thanks.

There are about a million fuzzes and a bunch of different Fenders. Lots of possibilities.

I had no luck running a Fuzz Face (Ge) through a twin (actually a Quad). I had some luck running the same pedal through an AA864 Bassman. Still the FF style fuzz sounded much better through my Metaltronix and my Marshall. A Jordan Bosstone style sounds great through my old Traynor.

Big Muff sounds pretty good through my Quad and not so good through the Bassman (not enough headroom for the *splat*). I do have a Tonebender just about completed. Maybe I'll give that a go. Thanks

AL

14. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

If your looking to use it as a fuzz and not an overdrive then a Fuzz Face clone like your Sunface is a great choice. They have a darker tone that goes well with Fender amps. If you want to use it as an overdrive a circuit with good tone controls is a plus. The Colorsound Overdriver is great with a Fender blackface. I extended the frequency range on my ThroBak Overdrive Boost which is based upon the Overdriver circuit. It sounds great with a blackface Fender. I even have a customer that uses it with his Twin Reverb with a Strat. All the clips on my site are with my ThroBak 18 watt clone but it does sound great with Fender blackface amps also. It will do a bit of fuzz tones but not as much as you can get from a Fuzz Face circuit. The original Overdriver circuit is silicon but I added a switchable germanium stage to the ThroBak Overdrive Boost. www.throbak.com

15. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Can some one explain (again) why FF works with Marshalls and not Fenders?
    Can an EQ pedal after the FF help ape a Marshall better than overdrive pedal?
    Thanks
    Nick

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I just got an Ashbrite Fuzz yesterday and it sounded amazing through my Blackface Princeton.

I can't believe I've never had a fuzz before. So much fun and SUCH a different animal than OD or dist.

17. cameron

cameron Member

I actually think a Fuzz Face works pretty well with either. Where the FF-style fuzzes differ from the raunchier ones is that they work well going into an amp that's already breaking up. That's true of Tone Bender type fuzzes as well.

A Fuzz Face kind of effect might sound a little thin running into a really clean Fender. But if your amp is on the edge of break-up, a Fuzz Face can act as a good solo boost, or as a good boost for heavy riffing.

18. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Retroman Sybil. It is a great, versatile fuzz. It has tone, fuzz and level controls for both the Ge and Si side. I love it with all of my amps BF's included. It goes from a light od-type of fuzz all the way to a really fat, full fuzz and all points in between. With the parallel/series switch you get into some fuzz sonic mayhem too. It cleans up unbelievably well with the guitar volume also. It is very sensitive to guitar volume and tone controls throughout its spectrum of fuzz.

19. Banditt

Banditt Supporting Member

"That Pedal show" had a good video on it. It has to do with mid-breakup of the Marshall and the natural compression found with that style. Fenders tend to not "round" the edges of the fuzz sine wave, giving a harsh, robotic sound.

20. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz-o-mite! Silver Supporting Member

10 year old necro-post! Awesome.