Fender Amp kits: MojoTone or Weber?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eric-d, Sep 18, 2006.

1. eric-d

eric-d Member

I'm seriously considering building my own Fender Amp kit. I just don't know which company has the better kit? Which one has higher quality components, easier intructions, and the better tone?! For those of you that have built one, please chime in and let me know.

I'm thinking about a Tweed Champ for starters and then going with a Tweed Bassman 4x10 and then onto the Marshall from Metro - A JTM45 with a 4x12 bottom cab w/ da greenies.

Thanks all.

2. van_wylde

van_wylde Member

I think if you were goin to build a fender amp the mojotone kit would be the best place to start as the instructions are very detailed an essentially desgned for the beginer, however they are pretty expensive.

A cheaper option would be a kit from ceriatone. these kits offer great value for money and sound absolutly fantastic. the down side is that they do not come with an instructions at all so its up to you to know what you are doing or maybe search the net for some help.

regards brendon

3. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

Weber's kit prices can't be beat.
    I would go with his champ kit. That amp is simple enough you should be able to follow the layout diagram on his website.

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I have a JTM45, and from what I can tell it's a mojotone kit that has been assembled and tweaked by RockyTop. Tonewise it's accurate and sounds just as good or it not better than any other JTM 45 clone I've played. I never figured I'd really like a JTM45 that much untill I got this one. Now that I have it, I realize it is a very versatile amp.:cool:

5. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

Allen makes very good kits. I just completed an Allen Accomplice build and have only good things to say about Allen.

6. eric-d

eric-d Member

7. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

Weber has tons of kits at very good prices. there are no directions and very limited customer support. some components are not top notch but they generally are not tone shaping parts (less expensive jacks, pilot, etc). I think that Weber is a great place for guys who have a little bit of experience and know what they are getting, can identify the parts they don't want and use other sources. also someone who can troubleshoot their own build, maybe with some forum help.

Allen has wonderfull stuff and he is a very nice guy. i've used his trannies, they are great.

for the first timer;
    1) pick an easy design - champ, 5E3, 18 watt LiteII
    2) go for a kit company that offers written instructions. when you don't know what a heater wire is or what pin on which tube, you can get lost real fast. instructions are great and most of them can be applied to your next build.
    3) be patient and take you time to do it right, the forst time.

other kit companies;
    S2
    Trinity
    GDS
    Allen
    Mojo
    Mission amps
    Brown note

8. K-man

K-man Member

Don't the Ceriatone come with the boards all assembled? Kinda defeats the purpose of building your own amp IMO.

9. Madgansound

Madgansound Member

I couldn't imagine a 'Fender' type amp kit being any more organized or made up of higher quality components than what David Allen is putting out right now.......

10. eric-d

eric-d Member

Sounds like Allen's getting more love than Mojo and Weber.... Hmmm.... Gotta check into it.. :)

11. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

The one thing lacking in Weber, Mojo, Mission and many others kits is a comprehensive instruction manual. There is a lesser known company thats been around as long as any previous mentioned that does have a great instruction manual. The name of the company is STF- Electronics, http://stf-electronics.com/ I built my first amp from one of their kits, it was over 100 pages with step by step pictures. The good thing about thier manual is that it teaches you the proper order of amp construction that can be applied to other amps.

If it is your first amp build, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

MikeY

12. eric-d

eric-d Member

Anyone else have any input?

13. eric-d

eric-d Member

Here's a quick run down of the few companies doing Tweed Deluxe kits.

Mojo - $695 (without upgraded speaker)
    Weber - $595
    STF - $739 (with a seperate speaker and a few $5 upgrades)

14. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i would go with G12H-30s.

15. eric-d

eric-d Member

Vintage 30's?!?!?! No way... Going with the 20W green meanies... :p

16. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i didnt say V30's, i said G12H-30's! :p

17. eric-d

eric-d Member

Same difference...

18. reganjeremy

reganjeremy Member

Not even close, the G12-H30 has much more bottom end and top end, and less mids. The V30 has a lot more mids. If you can't tell the difference between these speakers buy the cheapest kit you can find.

19. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

+1 on the G12H30 or a Hellatone from Avatar . Great speaker for a tweed or BF champ , more balanced top to bottom .

And +1 on Allen kits . Great instructions and drawings for a first build , tech support from David , and his trannies are the answer to " where's the beef ? "

20. eric-d

eric-d Member

But the kit I'd want from him doesn't offer tech support. :( I want the Hot Fudge.....