Fender amp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tammuz7000, May 8, 2016.

1. tammuz7000

tammuz7000 Member

Looking at a new fender small portable amp. I have a fender concert with 1x12 ev in it and love it but it is too heavy. What would be a good choice? And how are the reliability of new fender amps.

I also would look at a Mesa 5:25 or 5:35. Or a fender blues deluxe or a supersonic.

I've had the concert for a long time and nothing wrong with it. it is getting harder to carry out of my basement.

Tom

2. 335guy

335guy Member

Those 80's era Rivera designed Fender amps like your Concert, are good amps. Many folks like them. My buddy had one like your's with that EV 12 in it, and you'r right, it was a heavy amp. The EV 12" speaker contributed to an already heavy amp. My buddy eventually sold his because he's a harp player and the Concert wasn't that great for harp.

Which Fender amp to get depends on how loud you need to be and how much you want to spend. Buying new or used? The three you mentioned are all good amps. You should go to a shop and try them. Mesa's are more money than Fenders typically. Fender has a 5 yr limited warranty on their amps. That doesn't help you if you're buying used. Today, most production amps like those you mentioned use PCB's instead of the hand wiring your Concert has. In general, hand wired amps tend to be easier to repair and work on, plus, their components ( like pots, tubes ) weren't mounted on the PCB like many amps today are. Some Fenders still mount the pots on the face plate instead of on the PCB. But in general, most of the components of the production made amps today are of inferior quality to those used in your Concert. That's not to say they're aren't usable, but I would highly doubt they would last as long as your Concert has without parts wearing out. I would say in general, Mesa's are a more pro level amp and the build quality is better. But every manufacturer has built and sold some less than good amps, Mesa included.

That Concert got pretty loud IIRC. None of the amps you mentioned are quite as loud, being 40 watts and less. But IMO, 40 watts is normally plenty for most gigs, unless you need a lot of clean headroom. The amps you mentioned are around 20 lbs. lighter than your Concert, which is 57 lbs with a stock speaker and closer to 65 lbs with the EV 12L. You could lighten up your amp a bit by going with a different speaker that weighs less, but it would still tip the scale at over 50 lbs., and it wouldn't sound the same as that EV 12L.

Best advice, go to a shop near you and try out the Fenders. Try to find a Mesa dealer near you and try those as well. Good hunting :)

tammuz7000 likes this.
  3. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

For playing out, the Mesa Express 5:25 is fantastic. I kept my 1x10 even after I stopped gigging the 5:50 because it is such a fantastic grab and go amp and it covers so much ground. So that would be my first choice. It will do blackface clean on the clean channel, and really good cleans on the blues channel. I use clean for cleans and blues for dirt. Then it also has the crunch and burn settings, which give you more gain by far. Great amp. The 1x10 is as easy to carry around as it gets. I used mine at an outdoor gig recently and it performed like a champ. Interestingly, I sold a 1985 Fender Concert to get the Express.

If you want a Fender, the Blues Jr. and DRRI are both good choices, depending on what tone you want and how portable you want it to be. Both should be easily durable enough for reasonable gigging.

tammuz7000 likes this.
  4. ntmo

ntmo Member

I have a Blues Deluxe and I can't imagine it weighs much less than the 1x12 Concert if at all.

5. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

45 lbs for the Deluxe vs 57 for the Concert. Not a huge difference, but I'd suggest that's a big 12 pounds.

tammuz7000 likes this.
  6. tammuz7000

tammuz7000 Member

I put wheels in my concert when I got it so it's easy to push. The wheels pop out and makes it easy get around. The issue is lifting it up a bunch of steps. I can still do it but it gets heavier each time. I guess a dolly would work.

7. 335guy

335guy Member

And with the optional EV 12L like the OP has in his Concert, it will weigh even more than 57 lbs.

tammuz7000 likes this.
  8. 335guy

335guy Member

Maybe consider storing it somewhere else besides in your basement. If it's your gigging amp, store it in your garage or the 1st level of your home. And if you need an amp in your basement to practice, then get another amp for your basement. That way, you're not needing to lug it up and down the stairs.

tammuz7000 likes this.