Fender amp with humbucker guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mole351, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Mole351

Mole351 Member

Hi all. I'm looking for a good all-around amp for between $700-1.2k and looking hard at some of the fenders (HRD or supersonic). Want good cleans and something pedal friendly for dirt.

That said - I think ive read that while single coil guitars sound really good with these amps, humbucker guitars can sound muddy (I play a les paul). Any validity to this?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

3. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

To your last question, I think a humbucker/Gibson guitar played through a Fender amp is one of the greatest combinations ever. No worries there.

4. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

No way... I don't remember how many pages it included, but we had a long, LONG discussion about this topic. Humbuckers and Fender amps are golden. No worries at all.

5. Jimmy MAck

Jimmy MAck Member

Right. I want my Fender amp tone for my hum buckers. I just can't turn up the bass or middle dials. But, who needs them when you have a great sounding guitar?
    Just ask Mike Bloomfield, or Freddie King! Ok, they're not available, so ask the young Riley King.

Enjoy.

6. e???

e??? Member

Common advice is "kid, get yourself a fender amp with a bunch of tubes, and a gibson guitar, and you're set". Wise... I'd say hrd and p90's, nit that's getting a little specidic

7. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I love single coils, but I always go back to PAF-style humbuckers. Whether I'm playing through my Fender or Mesa.

8. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

I paid 1200 for my '66 super reverb

Best pedal platform ever

Sounds awesome with HBs

9. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

My DRRI is great with my Les Paul Classic. Just put a TS9 in front with it and you are golden.

10. AkrW

AkrW Member

Les Paul Super Reveb magic combo

11. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

For $700-1200 you can get a nice 70's Fender amp. I only paid a little more than that for my '66 Blackface Pro Reverb. Look into 70's Silverface models- Super Reverbs, Vibrolux Reverbs, Pro Reverbs.

12. joeprs

joeprs Member

SS22 on an Auralex Gramma with SC245 sounds great. Take the SS22 off of the Gramma and it is muddy.

13. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Don't over look the fender heads. My bandmaster reverb sounds great with my les Paul, but I did prefer my '67 bassman head with my les Paul as the bassman was more agressive sounding.

14. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Ask Derek and Susan Trucks.

15. David Garner

David Garner Member

I love my Les Paul and DGT through a Deluxe Reverb. Some of the finest tone there is.

16. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

As others have said nothing to worry about with HB and Fenders.

I use a LP and a 335 through a Princeton Reverb and a Vibrolux Reverb. Both sound fantastic.

17. AkrW

AkrW Member

You can get a silverface drip edge Super reverb for 8-900$. Choice of tube rectifier changes the feel and attack of the amp a lot. Trem and reverb are great. Cant get much more versatile than that.

18. illini

illini Member

I love me the Bandmasters.

19. NielsM

NielsM Member

I thinks it really depends on what kind of pickups you use. IMO, they make a big difference combined with a Fender amp.

That being said, the Fender amps doesn't have much midrange, where most of the muddyness comes from. So good HB's with Fender amp should sound great.

20. Ryan84

Ryan84 Member

This thread is funny....

Because Fender's and maybe some Vox amps are one of the few brands that won't sound dark or muddy with humbuckers.

If you go Marshall or say Orange you will have that killer midrange crunch, but that's when you can get muddy and dark cleans. Not with Fender tube amps.

But to really capture the ULTIMATE clean tone through a Fender Twin Reverb persay (what I use), It's really all about a Strat with single coils for me. I like my Gibson SG with it but I dunno it's just not the same man.