Fender Amps, to good, to many options to go.

DavidRAZ

I'm planning in get a new amp for this summer, and here are my options: Hot Rod Deluxe III, Princeton 68 Custom, Deluxe Reverb 68. I'm on a budget and don't want to expend more than one thousand. I've using a Frontman for years in my room, but lastly I've been getting more serious with my music and my tone. What do you recommend me? I have a long pedal chain and think that I'll keep getting more pedals.

64 Tele

Do you play out (live) now or will you in the future?
If so, then the HRD or Deluxe Reverb. If you don't/won't, then the Princeton Reverb.
I had two vintage BF Deluxe Reverbs, one vintage BF Princeton Reverb, which I sold back in 2002.
I was looking at either another Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb. I liked the idea of the two distinctly differently
channels (sharing reverb/tremelo) on the 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, but don't/won't play out live any more and ended
up with the 68 Custom Princeton Reverb as a result.

Last edited:

jimijimmyjeffy

If you like pedals that much the hrd is maybe the best for pedals of the ones named, due to the headroom. Also, they are easy to get rid of if you change your mind later, and are inexpensive for what they are. I think they have improved with more recent versions as well.

Sounds like you are just starting to get serious, and the hrd is a great "newly serious amp". A lot of pros use them even as cheap as they are to buy. Your tastes may well change with experience gigging. If so you can sell it what you bought it for used.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
I'm planning in get a new amp for this summer, and here are my options: Hot Rod Deluxe III, Princeton 68 Custom, Deluxe Reverb 68. I'm on a budget and don't want to expend more than one thousand. I've using a Frontman for years in my room, but lastly I've been getting more serious with my music and my tone. What do you recommend me? I have a long pedal chain and think that I'll keep getting more pedals.
I'd just keep an eye out for a local deal on a vintage Blackface or Silverface Fender tube amp if the repros are strong contenders representing the tone you are looking for (clean and mid-scooped). Some models are quite popular and people ask thousands *but* you can find other ones under your $1k budget and if you take good care of it, you should get back what you put in to it when (and if) you decide another amp suits you better. The repros are cleaner and cheaper than the most desirable ones for gigging today but the easy way to get that old sound is to get the real thing. If you don't know what you want and have limited income, buying new is a good way to lose hundreds in resale value.

My last bit of advice: Don't go cheap on the amp in order to pour more money into pedals.

DavidRAZ

Do you play out (live) now or will you in the future?
If so, then the HRD or Deluxe Reverb. If you don't/won't, then the Princeton Reverb.
I had two vintage BF Deluxe Reverb, one vintage BF Princeton Reverb, which I sold back in 2002.
I was looking at either another Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb. I liked the idea of the two distinctly differently
channels (sharing reverb/tremelo) on the 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, but don't/won't play out live any more and ended
up with the 68 Custom Princeton Reverb as a result.
What are the main differences between the 68 and the 65, I've seen people tend to like more the 65.

IM4Tone

I prefer buying Fender amps 'new' so as to have the 5 year warranty with a very extensive network of authorized repair centers (if needed). That would rule out both the 65 and 68 Deluxe reverbs from a budget standpoint. There is lots of info. on the differences if you do a search....headroom and reverb and tremolo availability on both channels are the main differences.

If you prefer to use pedals for your OD, ID prefer the Blues Deluxe Reissue over the HRDlx (although I'm not well versed on the III version) as I don't care much for the drive/more drive features of the Hot Rod.

You couldn't go wrong with the 65 or 68 Deluxe or the BDRI. Test drive each to decide.

64 Tele

What are the main differences between the 68 and the 65, I've seen people tend to like more the 65.
Going in (to A/B the Princetons) I really thought I'd end up bringing home the 65 RI as I had previously owned a 1964 Princeton Reverb. The 68 Custom seemed warmer (not as piercingly bright with same settings) and also louder on same settings as 65 RI. Could have been the difference in speakers or could have been something else. I spent a good hour with the two amps using my #1 guitar and came home with the 68 Custom.
I have treble set higher and bass set lower than what I used to use for settings with my 1964 Princeton Reverb to get where I wanted to be.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Definitely not the 68 Princeton, not enough clean headroom. I would go with the 68 Deluxe.

Rockerduck

Buy the 65 DRRI, its made to gig. The HRDx has more clean headroom if you play loud. The DRRI is a more professionally made amp tho'.

SuperReverb2

Don't over look the Michael Landau Hot Rod Deville 2 x 12. SERIOUS tone for days. Lot's of options. Takes pedals like no other amp I've played. Sounds great at low volumes and certainly has enough oomph and headroom to standup to the loudest drummer and accompanying band. LOVE mine for sure.

:)

e???

The 68 deluxe is a little noisy, but is a lot warmer than the 65. I've been gigging mine like crazy lately. Holds up nice, and always sounds good

Trending Topics