Fender amps with Gibson guitars

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Beng2040, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

I love my Fender amps. I have a 68 Vibrolux Reverb and a 65 Deluxe Reverb. They sound perfect with single coil guitars but I don't care for the tone with Gibsons. I say Gibsons and not humbucker guitars because I have a 78 Thinline Tele with humbuckers and it sounds fantastic through both amps.

Is there a way to get my Fenders to play nice with the Gibsons? Speaker swap, tube swaps, anything? I have a 79 Marshall JMP combo for the Gibsons but usually gig with one of the two Fenders. I like to switch between a Tele or Strat and a Les Paul for the songs we cover. Maybe I'm asking too much of a Fender amp, but I love the cleans and don't want to switch brands. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Yeah. Larry Carlton's 335 > Tweed Deluxe.... :stir

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Maybe you're asking too much of the Gibsons. ;)

Fenders can be pretty revealing and Gibsons tend to like a little gain to sound their best unless you're looking for Jazz tones.

It also may just come down to personal tonal preferences. There may be nothing wrong with the way your Gibsons sound through the Fender amps, you just don't like it.

4. roverdog

roverdog Member

Not sure what you don't like. Try input 2 instead of 1, maybe?

Gibsons with HBs or P-90 and Staple PU into 65 Princeton Reverb RI is what I use.

5. straightblues

straightblues Member

I use a BF Fender with my Gibsons. I prefer single coils with tweed Fenders.

What specifically don't you like? I have to believe it is just a settings issue.

6. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

I love my fender amps, they work very well with my Gibsons and fenders.

7. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

There seems to be a harshness in the upper mids in my Deluxe that I don't care for with my R8 and SG.

8. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

My Gibsons love Fenders. What don't you like about it? I used a Fat Boost into a Princeton last night and rolled down the tone and volume controls and it was an excellent slide tone. I had the treble about 5, mids about 6 (it was a modified PR)

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

My Gries 35 is basically a Vibrolux circuit and it sounds great with Gibson style guitars. Players have been getting great tone plugging LPs & 335s into Fenders since Fender started building amps.

Maybe your ears just don't like what they hear. I had that happen with a SD Broadcaster bridge pickup. People love that pickup but I heard a harsh upper mid spike that I couldn't tolerate.

10. Weezykid

Weezykid Member

My brother runs his Les Paul Jr through a 66 BF. With the stock pickups and stock circuit it sounded good. We eventually swapped the PU's for P-90s and I redid the bassman circuit to a Mike Ness tone... Perfect. (but then it is stock a stock BF...)

11. erksin

erksin Member

Supposedly a BF Super Reverb here:

And a brownface 6G3 Deluxe here:

Tweed Twin:

:dunno

12. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

I hear you on BF style amps...def not tweed though. Took me about 3 pickup swaps before I came to the conclusion I just don't love PAF HBs. For me TV Jones put a stop to that. Lollartrons will also do it.

13. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

My experience is that either that is a sound you like or dont. Backing off the pick up volume a smidge will help sweeten things a small amount. I use a 1x15 64 Vibroverb RI in my cover gig and it's primarily a "strat" songs list. But I've used an SG and a Les Paul in that gig plenty and I love the sound of Gibsons through a BG circut.

Beyond that, why not do the gig with that Tele Deluxe...seems to be a goldilocks scenario for you?

You could try swapping speakers/tubes, etc...but you run the risk of ruining the tone you love so much with the single coil guitars?

14. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Which Gibsons did you try, and what pickups were installed? A hollow or semi-hollow Gibson with vintage wind pickups should sound great through a Fender. But a run of the mill model LP or SG with say 490T or 500T pickups could sound flat and dull unless you really get the gain up.

Semi-hollow and hollow Gibsons tend to have more character in the tone for clean and semi-clean tones, and these should sound great either clean or distorted through most any Fender amp. I have noticed that Fenders really like Classic 57 pickups too. And a blackface or silverface Fender would be more sensitive to the difference between a 300k and 500k volume pot; with a Fender you will probably need that liveliness in the highs that the 300k pot removes.

15. erksin

erksin Member

Any Fender with a Bass control needs to have that set to 3 or less when you wind them up with a HB. I think most times that is the issue that people simply overlook.

16. rummy

rummy Member

I think you need a different amp for Gibson guitars.

17. ken374

ken374 Member

The coil tap/boost on my les Paul sounds pretty awesome with my twin, brings the hi end out nicely. Gibbys with its warm mahogany you might not be liking maybe?

18. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

BF Bassman + Greenback Speakers + Gibson LP = Awesome.

Seriously, the mention earlier about turning the bass knob down on Fender amps when played with humbuckers is good advice. I've also found that rolling down the bridge volume on my LP to about 8 really sweetens up the tone and gives it just a little more fatness or round quality (linear pots) that when pushed with the amp, creates a tone that is pretty dang hard to beat.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  19. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

I have a '68 Fender Showman going through a cab with a Scumback H75.
    I think it sounds awesome clean or overdriven with both my King Bee Tele and my R8 with Antiquities in it.

20. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

Not exactly on point, but how about a Telecaster Deluxe with wide range Humbuckers? Longer scale length with humbuckers sounds great with a Fender Amp.