Fender amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Supern00b, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

Why is it that every fender amp i've tried (specifically at GC) sound dull?
    I thought I would be blown away when I plugged into a Vibroking[verb?] sometime back, but it sounded like the strat had completely dead pickups, not quack or chime anywhere.

And the blues deville @ church just sounds like mud. Any pointers?

2. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Get new ears? (kidding... kidding... :))

Any chance you were playing them at low volumes without the bright switches on? Also, I really don't like the drive channels on the Blues and Hot Rod Deluxes and Devilles. I think that's a pretty common sentiment. The clean channels are quite nice, though, especially for the price.

If a Vibroverb sounds muddy, though, something is wrong with it. The only exception is if you turn it up really loud without turning the bass down. Blackface amps tend to get muddy in the low end when cranked, so many people turn the bass down when they turn the amp up.

The Vibro-King is a much more modern amp that I've never played, but if it sounds anything like the ProSonic that it is related too, it may be a bit dark on the clean channel and may need to be EQ'd in certain ways when on the dirty channel to sound good.

Also, in my experience, "Strat quack" depends much more on the pickups than the amp. For instance, the SCN pickups on the Deluxe American Strats just don't seem to quack for me, even though the American Deluxes are very nice instruments.

Have you tried a Deluxe Reverb or Princeton Reverb?

3. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

don't think so... i got to visit GC again sometime soon.

As for pups, I was running a EJ strat thru them and i was sorely disappointed w/ how it was set up i guess. Nothing special bout that strat, my MExi strat w/ stehpens 59s sound much better.

4. soldano16

soldano16 Member

There's always the issue of how the amp is biased coming from the factory.

5. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

yes. warranty-based cold.

6. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

???:confused:

7. auraelux

auraelux Member

Dude, the other guy in my band has a hot rod deville 2x12 and that thing is anything but dull. It gets too crazy sometimes actually, very loud, very pronounced amp, the knobs go to 12! Seriously!

8. RockDC

RockDC Member

There is a range in which an amp gets biased. If you bias it HOT then you hit gain levels faster but the tubes die quicker but it usually makes the amp very forgiving and big. If you bias COLD then the amp will stay cleaner longer (more head room) although you run the risk of it being dull.

9. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

ahh ok.

theres no warm, just those two extremes?

10. soldano16

soldano16 Member

No - there is a middle ground. But if the bias is cold, the amp sounds hard and unappealing.

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

um,you COULD buy a blackface...

12. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

Sometimes I think its just ears. Don't take that wrong but go back and try that vibroking a couple different times throughout a week or two. I am almost certain with some more practice and some tweaking you will make that thing do some cool stuff. If not, then maybe Fender cleans are not for you. Maybe you like Vox cleans. I know I like the idea of Fender cleans but something about the snap of el84s are more for me. I think the mind plays a lot of tricks on ears so its always good to give something more that just a passing listen.
    Also, are you playing that Deville at low volumes? I had a hot Rod deville and man it took some volume to get that thing in the sweet spot. Unless you're playing at a monster church I am gonna guess youre not getting it there but, thats speculation on my part so dont take a offense!

13. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

hahah, nah i like fender cleans, that pristine, bell cleans....i also like vox's...but i need lots of headroom. And the church definitely aint payin for it, its my coin :p:AOK

14. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    click on link below

15. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I already have 2.Thanks...:)