Fender AVRI '52 Telecaster - Gimme the Dirt

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimbugg, Jun 19, 2012.

1. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

I'm looking at picking up a '52 AVRI Tele later on today or tomorrow--what info does TGP have to offer that I should know before buying?

2. Cado

Cado Member

I originally looked into getting a '52 AVRI, but I don't play well on a maple board, so I bought a '62 AVRI instead. I think a set of compensated bridge saddles are important for good intonation. Great guitar believe the hype!

3. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Unless you're happy with vintage-style, low and skinny frets, and a vintage radius neck you'd be better off looking elsewhere for a more modern feel. The Baja is an excellent quality alternative-medium jumbo frets, 9.5" radius 'board, chunky neck and great pickups, along with the S-1 switching system giving six tone options.
    I owned a 52AVRI and while it was a very good instrument I couldn't get on with the sticky, vintage feel and eventually moved it on.

4. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

I have a '02 '52 AVRI and find it to be my ideal guitar.

Love the skinny neck and vintage frets. Quality out the waazho and fairly light weight. Pick-ups sound great. I've read on other forums that the nitro on some guitars gives it a sticky feel.

Maybe mine is fully cured and I don't find it to be a problem.

Go for it!

5. jbraun002

jbraun002 Member

I have one - great guitar. I did play a few before finding this one and found some variations on both weight and the sticky neck. Mine isn't sticky at all.

As I've started playing a fair amount of country/rock vs the sole jazz stuff I used to play I've noticed the fret-wire and radius to get in the way somewhat for bending. It's an asset, imo, when playing chords - makes it more comfortable for me to fret jazzy voicings - but with my action set so low it does seem to fret out for some bends.

I will say this - of most of the guitars I own, it does seem to be very easy to set the action into "shredder" territory.

The only thing that would stop me from buying again is the fact that the neck is glossed (like most guitars). I've personally started to absolutely love unfinished (or tung oiled or sanded) necks. Unless you buy a relic, though, you're probably not going to find a tele with one (AFAIK).

Best of luck!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  6. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Member

Suprised about comment above about skinny neck. I've not seen a 52 RI with a skinney neck profile - most if not all seem to have 50's profile neck which is fairly beefy. Not Nocaster think but certainly not '60's thin.

I concur that you want to play a number of them if possible - some are lighter than others, have lighter finishes, slightly better neck carves etc. But all are really well made guitars and once rewired to "modern" wiring, are brilliant teles with a great voice.

7. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i've had one for a few years now and i love it - it's become my main guitar. before i had the AVRI52, i played american standard teles and thought the necks and frets were super comfy on the standards. so it took me a little while to get used to the AVRI's much rounder, thicker neck and tiny frets, but now i love it. i also prefer the resonance of the AVRI's ash body and, to me, the AVRI's pick-ups sound a bit warmer than the american standard's pick-ups.

my only complaint is that the body finish seems a bit thick/plastic-y. i'd love to find a tele with the same AVRI specs but a thin skin finish but i've grown attached to the one I've had now and it's got some sentimental value. i played a few before i found a used one at a reasonable price - I think around $1,150. i'm very pleased with it.....

8. schitzkaput

schitzkaput Member

I was so surprised when I tried one of these...I thought something was wrong with the neck pick up...but its supposed to sound that muddy I learned...For me, its completely useless..!

9. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

That's the vintage wiring job. Bridge/Neck/Neck w tone rolled off. There are ways to get it to modern wiring specs.

10. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

I went for it, thanks for the input, guys! Easily my new #1

11. HP Hovercraft

HP Hovercraft Member

The neck pickup is the middle position on the three-way switch.

Congrats! I think they're pretty much perfect.

12. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Don't get the ones with the muffly neck pup, that always bugged me that they go that far to recapture vintage style.

13. HP Hovercraft

HP Hovercraft Member

Again, the neck pickup isn't "muffly."

The middle position on the pickup selector is the neck pickup.

The third position is the neck pickup without tone control, which accounts for the dark sound.

The stock vintage wiring can easily be changed to modern wiring. The guitar even includes a capacitor and wiring diagram.

14. 27sauce

27sauce Member

My '93 has a pretty small neck, but most of the modern ones I've played have a beefier profile.

I love mine, its been my main Tele for 10+ years. I did refret it with larger wire, although I did keep the vintage radius.