Fender AVRI strat pickup help needed

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluesytone, Feb 1, 2012.

1. bluesytone

bluesytone Supporting Member

I've been lurking around the last few days trying to find some more info on my recently acquired 95 AVRI 57 Reissue. It appears at first glance to have the original pickups in it. They are pretty warm sounding, but also generally thin.. and most interesting to me is that they really drive the front of my Goodsell Super 17 amp hard. I get gobs of breakup even at lower volume which I like, yet seemed way over the top. I swapped out the pickups for a used set of Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots (according to the original owner were more than 10 years old). The Fralins have a very sweet open singing quality which I like, but don't seem to drive the front of the amp nearly as hard as the stock pickups. i was surprised by this, as i expected it to be the other way around. I'm starting to wonder if the pickups that arrived in the AVRI are possibly Texas specials or some other extra hot pickup? any thoughts on how to identify or is this pretty normal? Any help is appreciated. I've also included some pics of the new strat for fun.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. 1962FenderStrat

1962FenderStrat Senior Member

I couldn't say, but if the pickups aren't the originals, you should expect some refund. The guitar looses value once you start modding it.

If it's already tampered with, you might aswell put Suhr Michael Landau Pu's in it.

3. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

we need pics of the PUP's !!!

4. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Get a DVM after both sets too and see what the ohm readings are.

You can do it in or out of the guitar of course. Use a guitar cord plugged in to the guitar and measure from the tip and sleeve of the other end of the cord while in the 1, 3 and 5 positions on the selector switch

5. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

The stock pickups in my 1994 62 AVRI read about 6.1k and sound great and should be the same as yours. I think around 98ish they changed the deign and these read out about 5.65k. Also nice pickups but brighter and thinner. I have these in my 2010 62 AVRI. Some people will like the older design and others will like the newer design YMMV. Both are great sounding Fender single coils.

Wierd thing is that I have Dimarzio VV pickups in both my 62 AVRI's because I can't deal with the 60 cycle hum. Still have the originals.