Fender Baja Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TonyV, Jul 9, 2008.

1. TonyV

TonyV Member

Opinions please

How is the soft V neck feel?
    How are the neck and bridge pickups?
    Overall quality worth $800

Thanks

2. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

The Baja is a nice piece of lumber for the bucks. I like the chunky neck and the pups put out a classic Tele tone. I can live without the S-1 switching system but you can just ignore it if ya want.

The biggest issue is weight - I have run into more than a few that weigh as much as a boat anchor (holy shades of CBS-era Teles).

It also might be helpful for you to compare the Baja to the Highway 1 Tele.

3. srmillis

srmillis Member

I like mine. I replaced the bridge and saddles with a set from Callaham, which has made a significant difference. Stock pickups are excellent. I don't like the S-1 switch. And the guitar is really heavy.

4. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I have a nice one. Weighs in @ 7.6 lbs. Its totally stock but for Schaller strap locks. Its a fantastic tele. I have an early one with a big U shaped neck. I heard they changed them to a V shape at some point.

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

The soft V is all but not even there; you can count on a Baja neck not having big shoulder like a No-Caster, however.

The Baja V feature is insignificant next to a Warmoth Boatneck, a USACG USV-1, or a signature Jimmie Vaughan MIM Strat of any vintage. But it is a great neck, around .92 at the second fret, maybe .98 at the twelfth, and any V you do sense will be in the first 5 or 6 frets.

The pickups are superb, very useful for all purposes. The S-1 out of phase sounds are more of a novelty after being around them for over a year, but the sound could come in handy. I just wish I could tell you for sure where the pups are actually made.

I've got quite a few Bajas, all Desert Sand, and I haven't paid the full $ 800, but it is a fine, extremely well made guitar, that IMO is worth more money to me than any of my Am Se Teles or Strats are, at least in their stock form. And I've spent hundreds trying to upgrade those. Meanwhile the Bajas have gotten machine jack cups, Gotoh kluson tuners and fresh strings, and they're ready for battle.

None of mine are heavy. Play as many as you can; buy the best playing best sounding one, not the bargain or returned one.

6. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

i love mine... probably the widest range of sounds of any guitar i own. it is heavy... but i don't mind... it's still a lot lighther than my 12 pound explorer.

one complaint.... i do have to replace the bridge/saddles... there are some intonation/tuning issues... and i know someone who had the same complaint about his baja too.

7. JimiStiff

JimiStiff Member

i love mine too!

amazing neck...perfect for me. The Pups are amazing and they are wired with so much possibilities!

Get one, but check it personaly before you buy!

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Nice guitar but go to the store and pick it out as QC is questionable.

9. Blue4Now

I think the pickups are fener CS, a twisted tele neck and broadcaster bridge (US made CS pickups) Has anyone heard otherwise? I continue to love my Baja and have had no reason to change a thing. And I do like to modify.

10. TonyV

TonyV Member

Thanks all

I will keep an eye out locally so I can try one in stock, maybe find a good one. I can wait, it's not like I actually need another guitar.

11. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

I tried out both the Baja and the Highway One up at GC. I've been looking for a quality but less expensive Tele.

Personally, I liked everything about the Highway One better. Frets, wider (but still substantial) neck, pretty much everything felt of a higher quality.

The Highway One will be my purchase when I go for a Tele. Hopefully I'll find a good deal on a used one at the Valley Forge show this weekend.

12. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Played one once by chance. Just blew my mind for the $$$jing. Played great and sounded awesome.

13. Blue4Now

If all the Baja's were light weight and had tight neck pockets Fender could sell them as custom shop instruments. The fact is however, you need to really go through a few of them at the stores to find a good one. I spent a day and went to 4 shops by me to find a nice one. Light weight, good neck joint and great set up out of the box.

14. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Member

Great guitar, I hear there where some made with slightly crookedly fitted bridgeplates - and mine had minor spray paint issues near the rear strap button, but I had a straight bridge -and so kept the guitar. I'm certainly glad I did ! the best neck I have played on so far - and great sounding.

So it's a + 1 on the Baja from me ...:AOK

15. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

Love my Baja. Approx 7.5lbs, very resonant, fantastic neck. Paid $499 at GC during the year-end blowout. Fit & finish is great...I think I got a really good one. I had been shopping for a Tele for about a year and the only tele I liked as much or more than the Baja was a CS Nocaster I tried a year ago for 5 times the price. I actually like the Baja neck bettter than the Nocaster. While very good stock, I have made a few mods: Gotoh tuners, Don Mare pickups, Glendale heavy Knurl knobs, electrosocket, and removed S-1 and wired 4way.