Fender Bass MIA or MIM...?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fenderBOYroy, Mar 19, 2007.

1. fenderBOYroy

fenderBOYroy Member

Whats up fellas?! New to the Bass forum. I play electric guitar, and I gig regularly, but am looking to buy a bass (new/used), preferably a Fender Jazz fairly inexpensive as I am going to learn bass.

My question is... are bass players as anal as guitar players about where there bass was made. I know personally the tonal and playability differences between the Made in U.S.A. fender guitars from the Made In Mexico, or even the Made in Japan guitars. Are basses as distinguishable(*sp)? Can I get away with playing a cheaper bass, for now anyway?

2. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

To really save money AND get a pro-level instrument, look at an older used G&L. Go to the "guitars by leo" forum and ask some questions because to a non-bass player like me there seems to be more G&L bass variations than there are Les Paul variations!:Spank

3. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Lame has a good point. I have had two G&L LB100 Precision-style basses that were excellent.

I'm rocking a USA Fender Precision now that is lovely as well. I thought it played and sounded much better than the MIM or CIJs.

4. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

Basses are even more distuguishable. You have a better chance of finding a good cheap guitar than a good cheap bass.

5. fenderBOYroy

fenderBOYroy Member

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ass?sku=513050

Being a Fender guy I didn't even consider going another way, but I played a gig this weekend and the bass player was playing a Schecter and it sounded pretty good. Coincidentally another forumite just suggested that I look at a Schecter instead of a cheaper Fender being that the $500 give or take is my budget....

What do you think? Have any of you ever played one?

6. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

If you are less than 25 years of age and play Nu-metal, then the Schecter (cue sinister-sounding power chord) will be fine, if not then you may want to reconsider.

This is the time that someone usually posts to say it doesn't matter what the headstock says and all that but when I see someone with a Schecter bass it brings to mind a certain type of music. Yes, it is a stereotype.

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Is this the Bass Forum? I have a MIM Fender P Bass that gets the job done reliably. Now that is the sound I like and it may not be for you. There are a lot of good basses made in Japan, Korea, and Mexico. Isn't the MIM Marcus Miller an absolute killer bass. Buy with your ears.

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

$500? Buying new?

G&L Tribute L-2000.

I have an old Jazz Bass, I have a "regular" G&L L-2000. The L-2000 has a larger range of what can be covered than the Jazz. The L-2000 plays virtually the same and can sound much more aggressive. My L-2000 was ordered with a 1.5" nut width- that's the size of the Jazz Bass- the big key in why a Jazz plays like a Jazz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I dunno...to me a cheap fender bass sounds the same to me as a moderately priced fender bass. of course, I'm more of a guitar player. as far as I'm concerned you can't really go wrong with standard fender basses. the new Jaguar bass is pretty hot too.

10. Senzu21

Senzu21 Member

I had a MIM Fender deluxe something, I forgot the name. It had the p bass body with the jazz neck, also with both kinds of pickups.

The bass was very nice, the neck was unbelievable to play. With that said I tried many after and could not find one that felt the same. I would say that they are like the MIM guitars; you have to try a bunch to find a winner.

11. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Our bass player picked up a MIM Jazz Bass in a pawn shop for $300 and it had a great sound stock. He added some Nordstrand pick ups and it sounds killer now! Oh yeah he says it plays great aswell.

12. lbw

lbw Member

Fender MIJ basses are way better than MIM in my opinion. Also, they have lots of great non-standard configurations for basses like the Aerodyne P/J, etc. Many come with USA pickups standard, etc.