Fender Bass... Which One?!

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Sam Shakusky, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I was looking at those yesterday. I really don't like the control layout. I'm totally fine with the number of knobs, I just don't like having stacked passive volume and tone, then a blend, and then the 3 band EQ. I'd much rather have a bigger control plate so I didn't have to stack the master volume. I'm sure I'd get over it if I liked the bass enough. But it's weird in the abstract.

2. TylerE

TylerE Member

Plus blend knobs just suck, period. Much rather just have two volumes.

3. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I can't understand for the life of me why Fender doesn't release the Japan-only Aerodyne Jazz Basses (i.e. multiple colors, black pickguard) in the USA.

[​IMG]

I've been lusting after this gray one for years, but I'm temporarily quelled with an inexpensive but ridiculously comfortable Ibanez SR400 (J/P pickup config w/active EQ).
    There is no right/wrong answer (J vs P), just depends on which you favor. I will say the Aerodyne Jazz is the closest to being best of both worlds.

Vcaster likes this.
  4. OaklandA

OaklandA Silver Supporting Member

I would vote Sire P7 first, but the Squier Classic Vibe line is really good. They range a bit in overall fit and finish but if you get a good one, you're set. I have an older CV 60's Precision that is as good as anything else I have or have played.

5. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

Doctor Morbius and derekd like this.
  6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Very nice. Love the color.

Be sure and let us know what you think of it.

7. TylerE

TylerE Member

Because they undercut USA sales. The Japanese stuff that they let in was always killer, and not just for the price. The MIJ run of the Geddy Lee Jazz for instance was probably more bass per $ than anything Fender has ever sold.

dennyman likes this.
  8. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

I've been looking at those for my first bass. I missed out on the sale though.

9. Vcaster

Vcaster Member

Love those Fender MIJ Aerodynes. That gray one you posted is drool worthy.

I checked out a well-used Fender MIJ Aerodyne bass at the local big box music gear retailer. It played OK. Unfortunately, it was black gloss all over and showcased every fingerprint, smudge, dust spec, etc.

10. stromero01

stromero01 Member

11. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I just bought a “used” Fender MIJ ‘60s Traditional Jazz Fretless in 3 tone burst from CME for under $700 including tax and shipping. Here’s how “used” it was- the plastic was still on the tuners and all the candy was in the bag. It’s absolutely incredible. They have the same bass fretted in a couple of finishes for $999 and I’ll bet they mark a few of them “used” for Labor Day. At the beginning of this year they popped up on Fender’s website for about a week and then disappeared. I think they realized how good they were and decided not to compete with themselves. CME has had a few of them during the year-I’m stalikong their site for a fretted in a finish I like.

12. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

I played a Fender J-bass for a few years. It was very nice but when I played a Epiphone Thunderbird bass I was blown away. Sold my J-bass for a guitar some years ago. Think about getting an Epiphone Thunderbird bass lately.. it has a very nice J-bass kinda neck and it sounds great, you need to reach a little but are richly rewarded by tone. It's good for rock sounds, so depends on what you want. Any love for the Thunderbird here!?

Fender Mustang bass is also very nice!

13. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I'd put the Fender Deluxe P/J right there with the Baja. There is a passive model (that may be exclusive to GC) and active model from Fender. https://shop.fender.com/en-US/elect...active-precision-bass-special/0143412300.html
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender...MI0qve1Y-D5AIVjrbICh2zxwfIEAQYAiABEgKN-vD_BwE
    Both have great hardware and electronics. P/J basses are nice for getting both P sounds and when you start blending the pickups, some quasi-J tones happen. The active version has a passive switch, too. Nice variety for a single bass.

14. Gasman94

Gasman94 Member