Fender Bassbreaker 15 - Settings and pedals

SharpestTool

I have owned the Bassbreaker 15 for about 10 months. I am still experimenting with settings and pedals with my '93 HSS Strat Ultra. What guitars, eq/gain/bright settings and pedals do other people use?

Chuckracer

Silver Supporting Member
I tend to land on the middle gain setting, pre 7 to 10, all tones on 2 o'clock, very little reverb (NOT a good sounding reverb to me ears) and sometimes use an OCD pedal set for clean boost if I want over the top. I use the bright switch on my Tom Anderson, turn it off w/ my Knaggs Kenai.

It's also fun to dime the master in the mid gain setting and bring in the pre to 9 or 10 o'clock...Kerrang!

Fun little amp!

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
I'm loving my Bassbreaker 15 combo. Just about every control is at or near noon. Volume as needed. No onboard reverb needed.

SharpestTool

I am getting some really nice tone set on the mid gain structure (bright switch off), with the gain set at 10 o'clock and a slight push with the pettyjohn chime pedal. The chime makes it sound more open and not so muddy in the bottom - I leave it on all the time. I tried the Ep booster but it had too much low/low mid push, which the amp definitely doesn't need. The chime allows a good platform for my other drive pedals which I am still in the tweaking and experimenting phase (does it ever end?).

I am guessing you could get similar results (for less money) with a tube screamer type pedal or another pedal that cuts bass (Timmy?).

Last edited:

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
I have a few pedals that get along great with this amp. I have two red dirts, an original and a germanium. Great fit with this amp. Direct drive and gain changer both work great. And my favorite three Skreddy's the screwdriver, lunar module and hybrid fuzz driver work great. But all these pedals are pretty popular for going well with a lot of different amps, so I'm not sure I've brought anything earth shattering to the table. But they do sound really good with the bassbreaker so that's something I suppose.

SharpestTool

What about a very smooth (not gritty) sounding pedal for lower gain lead with sustain - needs have a light bottom end. Any suggestions to use with neck pick up on Strat.
I have the AT angry Charlie which sounds awesome with the amp but looking for something for clearer driven leads (not really after a tube screamer).
I tried the MS SOV-2 but thought it was a too dark.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-4

C-4

I use a Tim, Simble, and Id pedal with my amps,(not a Bassbreaker).

These add sustain and are considered low gain OD pedals.

I played a Bassbreaker 15 in our local GC, and really liked what I heard with that amp. It was the best sounding Fender amp I had tried in a very long time!

One of the reasons I liked it so much was that it had more of a British sound to it then an American sound, which I have come over time to dislike, due to playing Fenders and Mesa amps early on. The only Fender amp I really liked was the first amp I got when I started, which was a new 1957 Tweed Princeton.

Last edited:

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Tim, Simble, and Id pedal with my amps,(not a Bassbreaker).

These add sustain and are considered low gain OD pedals.

I played a Bassbreaker 15 in our local GC, and really liked what I heard with that amp. It was the best sounding Fender amp I had tried in a very long time!

One of the reasons I liked it so much was that it had more of a British sound to it then an American sound, which I have come over time to dislike, due to playing Fenders and Mesa amps early on. The only Fender amp I really liked was the first amp I got when I started, which was a new 1957 Tweed Princeton.
This. I grew up when silverfaced amps were a dime a dozen. Don't remember how many I owned. Now when people say "the fender sound" I know they mean that black/silver faced tone. I can't run away fast enough. For me the fender sound will always be tweed. The bassbreaker doesn't really do tweed. But it's more tweed than black/silver and so far it's working pretty good for me.

SharpestTool

I'm pretty happy using an OCD with my Strat and the amp's gain structure set at the middle setting.

Yes, I think that OCD could be the right sound but the push in the bass is my concern. I really want something that is open in the bass with this amp and my gear and ears.

The pettyjohn chime cuts/opens the bass to what I like, I just don't want to add it back in and get muddy again. The control on the dirty little secret (subtractive not additive) would be ideal, but don't think the pedal fits the smooth bill.

Last edited:

Rod

Vibrato & String Bender on Overdrive
Gold Supporting Member
I'll bet the Bassbreaker 15 would sound great with a Treble booster (Rangemaster type) like a Naga Viper. It will tighten the bass up as well

SharpestTool

I'll bet the Bassbreaker 15 would sound great with a Treble booster (Rangemaster type) like a Naga Viper. It will tighten the bass up as well
I checked out the Naga Viper looks very interesting - full range boost with high pass filter control. I wonder what it would sound like stacked into AT Angry Charlie? Probably awesome.

Last edited:

Rod

Gold Supporting Member
I've owned probably 6 different treble boosters and the Naga Viper is really the only one where you can fine tune it to your amp , and it still sounds like a Rangemaster

SharpestTool

Does the Naga Viper add a grainy boost? I would think it would because it's boosting treble? Does it colour the sound when off?
I like the Pettyjohn Chime at the front of my pedal chain and always on, I wonder that the NV might not sound good boosting it since it needs to go at the beginning.

Rod

Gold Supporting Member
Does the Naga Viper add a grainy boost? I would think it would because it's boosting treble? Does it colour the sound when off?
I like the Pettyjohn Chime at the front of my pedal chain and always on, I wonder that the NV might not sound good boosting it since it needs to go at the beginning.
Treble boosters do much more than what they're name implies...
It's not a grainy boost.. you really gotta hear one to appreciate what they can do for some amps

Last edited:

SharpestTool

I'm going to give a Naga Viper a go, I bought a used one on eBay. I'm interested in it being silicon not germanium, so will try in different places in the chain.
Thanks for the advice Rod.

Rod

Gold Supporting Member
How's the Naga viper working for you?
It's been great..the ultimate od for darker amps... I use Budda and their newer East amps, which, like the Bassbreaker are darker amps, and the Naga you can adjust and tune it to your liking, and your amps tone..it's an incredible design...nothing else like it, and because its silicon, it's stable and consistent.. I've owned a large number of different geranium treble boosters, and they were to flaky/ inconsistent cause of weather and temperature changes here in New England and I need consistency for my live shows....I sold them all and kept the Naga Viper...:)

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
I love my BB15 112 running with my DV 212 cab.

I usually use Mid Gain setting, with Gain/Bass/Mid/Treble at about 2 o'clock, master about 10-12 and verb about 9 o'clock.

steam boat

It's been great..the ultimate od for darker amps... I use Budda and their newer East amps, which, like the Bassbreaker are darker amps, and the Naga you can adjust and tune it to your liking, and your amps tone..it's an incredible design...nothing else like it, and because its silicon, it's stable and consistent.. I've owned a large number of different geranium treble boosters, and they were to flaky/ inconsistent cause of weather and temperature changes here in New England and I need consistency for my live shows....I sold them all and kept the Naga Viper...:)

Cool! I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these bb15s soon. I have a nice tbooster already kicking around so it's good to hear you're liking it

Trending Topics

Top Bottom