Fender Bassbreaker 2x12 Cab NCD(late)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by white cloud, Mar 13, 2018.

1. white cloud

white cloud Member

I've had this cab for about a week now and have been able to try 4 amps with it. Marshall DSL40c and DSL1HR, Orange Dark Terror and VHT Special 6 Ultra. To my ears the V-Type speakers are well balanced not hearing a lot of hyped frequencies yeah I know they aren't broke in yet got about 5 hours on them. The Cab itself is light for a 2x12, Birch Plywood construction "semi-closed" as Fender describes. Full clear sound so far db's just below Band level and didn't break a sweat. So I am pleased. Great Deal at MF by calling in and also getting Backstage points. I don't mind the Marshall Fender mismatch decor so will try tracking soon as I am awaiting a new Ribbon mic to try out
    Picture here with the Marshall DSL1HR and when the Origin's land put the 20h on top.
    [​IMG]

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Member

Congrats! I’m not normally a big Celestion fan, but I like the V-Types quite a lot.

I have a BB15 combo and the 112 extention cab.

white cloud likes this.
  3. InkStained

InkStained Member

Very nice. My Bassbreaker 112 cab has really helped my BB 007 come alive. And I'm looking at some low-power heads, including Orange and Marshall.

The Celestion is great.

[​IMG]

white cloud likes this.
  4. dacula789

dacula789 Member

A lot of cab for the money. I use mine with a Katana head and it rocks just as hard as the big money cabs Ive owned.

white cloud likes this.
  5. stryker59

stryker59 Supporting Member

They really don't get the attention they should. They are a great cab especially for the money. The V-types are good speakers but I loaded my BB 2x12 up with Celestion alnico creams and it is frigging incredible!

mbell75 likes this.
  6. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Congrats! I personally don't like those V-type speakers in my Bassbreaker 45, they are overly harsh and bright IMO. I almost returned it until I got an Orange 2x12 with V30s and started running it thru the cab, huge improvement. All depends on what kind of sound you like though.

7. white cloud

white cloud Member

Wow I just checked and those Alnico creams cost about the same for one speaker as I paid for the cab. I'll keep that in mind but will get quite a few more miles on the V-Type's

8. white cloud

white cloud Member

Huh my DSL40c would be considered a bright amp and when I A/B'd the WGS Veteran 30(in the combo) and this Bassbreaker cab with V-Types, the Vet 30 was brighter so go figure. That speaker is broken in pretty good and I do like it but some claim could be a Tad dark, it is when compared to the WGS Retro 30 in my 1x12. So the V-Types aren't broke in yet but I am not hearing Harshness. That Orange 2x12 cost's twice what I paid for the BB cab and I've considered it but for now am happy and like I said the amps I've tested it with do vary(except the DSL's) The real test was the Vox AC10 and that sounds great with it. Could be as you say the sound your after and I'll add playing style to the mix.

9. mbell75

mbell75 Member

The Orange has Vintage 30s, not Veteran 30s. Massive difference :) Yes, the Orange cab is twice as much but its twice as good IMO.

10. stryker59

Haha yeah the damn things ain't cheap!

11. stryker59

The orange cabs (I'm referring to the PPC2X12 closed back)are nice but I don't like the size of them. They can be boomy and muddy sounding. The fender BB dimensions and design make it much more focused and precise sounding which I prefer with the alnicos. The orange 2x12 OB would be the cab I'd get if I was gonna do orange.

InkStained and mbell75 like this.
  12. white cloud

white cloud Member

Yes I know the Orange closed back cabs come loaded with Vintage 30's. What I was saying is my DSL40c has a WGS Veteran 30(replacing the Seventy/80) I also had a Retro 30 in there but now that's in a 1x12 extension cab. The Retro 30 has some upper mids that are similar to the Vintage 30 while the Vet 30 darker than both so my point is the V-Types didn't sound as bright as the Veteran 30 which many claim is quite a bit darker than the Celestion or Retro 30. Sorry for the confusion

13. NoEars

NoEars Member

Bump.

Seems like the 2x12" is a great deal for a birch plywood constructed cab with 2 Celestions. Any other 2x12 cabs in the same price range that come close to this one?

14. mikemjr12

mikemjr12 Member

I just picked up a BB 2x12 cab myself. Planning on rewiring it to a 4ohm cab though because all of my amps have either 8 or 4 ohm outs. I know I can safely mismatch it, but I prefer to run it at 4ohm. Seems like it should be an easy mod.

15. stryker59

It will be an easy mod since the speakers are 8 ohms. They are wired in series stock for the 16 ohm load, all you have to do is wire them parallel to get the 4 ohms load.

mikemjr12 likes this.