1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fender Bassman 10???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jockman, Jan 14, 2008.

1. jockman

jockman Member

Hello,
    my local second hand guitar shop has a Fender Bassman 10, all I know is that it is a siverface from the '70's, 4x10 speakers, pretty tatty etc, it has 2 channels with a master volume, no reverb, valves are 2x6L6GC 2x12AX7 and 1x12T7. I would like some info/opinions on the amp if poss. And for UK readers, what would the value be, it seems a bit on the high side as far as I am concerned, (£600+)
    Thanks,

Jon

2. jockman

jockman Member

3. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

In the US, that is a fairly high price for this amp. Esp considering most older amps need a run through by a proper tech.

I'm not sure if you are aware of Ceriatone amps. A Tweed Bassman premade kit plus shipping to the UK would be 383.53 GBP. If you can't build your own cab, you could either have someone locally build one, or find an old broken amp and gut the chassis and use that. There are pro cab builders as well, just not sure of any in the UK??

But this would certainly be a good option. You could use the extra cash for cool speakers or NOS tubs etc. Check out the other amps he builds as well. I have the 18 watt tmb ef86. It is top notch!

Good luck

dk

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It's basically a Bassman 50 or Bassman 70 head section (depending on the year) and a 4x10" cab in the same package. They sound fine for guitar too, and the overdrive is a bit better than the usual SF guitar combos.

£600 is way too much for a tatty one in unknown electrical order though - that's about top money for a good-condition fully-overhauled one. I would personally not pay more than half that for one needing a lot of work, at most.

5. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

I had one and I thought it was a complete dog. The tone was very boring, bland and the break up was not good. Totally different than older bassman amps I've played through. My SF bandmaster reverb and dual showman reverb smoked it in every way, especially overdrive. I eventually sold it and have never missed it.

6. jockman

jockman Member

Many thanks for the replies, especially on the price, may give it a miss as it looks as though it hasn't seen a tech for years.

Jon

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I thought they were a bit lifeless too. I had one that was modded with an extra preamp tube and a sort of JTM45 circuit on the first channel. That sounded much better.

8. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Yeah, I had one that was all beat up, covered in red fur, and had a sticker "Property of Central State Hospital" (the local mental hospital). I paid $150 for it.
    It sounded terrible.
    It's cab is gone, and it's carcass is now a great sounding Fuchs mod.

9. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

I tried to read this reply 4 times and never got past "covered in red fur". :jo

10. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I used to have one as well. I think "bland" is about right. My little Princeton Reverb pretty much smoked it in the tone category. The best thing about the amp was that I was able to sell it for about 3 times the price I paid for it.