Fender Bassman / Bandmaster questions

handyman11

Gold Supporting Member
Just picked up a 1966 AB165 BF Bassman , and trying to decide whether to keep that , or a 1965 AB765 Bandmaster ...

Love the Bassman , but seems like the 'normal' channel of the Bandmaster is similar .... the second channel seems much different ...are they basically the same ?

Also , do most people engage the bight switch on the Bassman channel, when using with pedals?

Thanks in advance ....

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Right off the bat they different front ends and different sized OT. The Bassman puts our around 50 watts while the Bandmaster makes do with around 40. The Bassman will usually be quite a bit more "raw" than Bandmasters and the latter will stay pretty clean for a good travel up in the volume

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
You can have both. I proved it! When it comes down to it, you can get similar tones from both. If you just have to cut one loose, the question is: are you doing higher volume rock? If yes, the Bassman would be the one to keep. If you need a sweeter amp at lower levels, or, um, tremelo, the Bandmaster is the choice.

handyman11

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, decided to keep both ...actually paid $400 each for them , so well worth keeping ...and great amps ...

KennyM

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 65 Bandmaster that is perhaps my favorite pedal platform amp. The output tranny blew a year ago and I had it replaced with a Heyboer Bassman TF with multiple impedance taps. Still stays clean most the way up the dial, but simply huge and ballsy.

Bassman's get grittier and definitely rock out more, but I prefer the cleans from a Bandmaster.

Jonny D

As much as I love my Bassman amps to death, I would REALLY love to also own a Bandmaster...that day will come.

I got the chance to borrow one for awhile and the thing that I liked about the Bandmaster was that it was just cleaner and clearer further up. I also loved the chance to play with tremolo.

Wag

If you want to hand a set of balls on that Bandmaster, put a set of (USA) Tung-Sol 5881's in it. Some folks will tell you it can't be done..... nonsense. I've owned my Bandmaster for close to 40 years now and the 5881's I have in it now are the best power tubes I've ever had in it!

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
I have both as well, a '64 Bandmaster and a '66 Bassman. I plan on keeping them forever. The bandmaster definitely is a great pedal platform that has awesome cleans way up the dial. It had Sovtek 5881's in it when I got it but replaced them with some =C= 6L6's. Really brought the amp to life. It also has some really great sounding RCA 7025's in the preamp. It's a great example of the classic two gain stage BFF sound.

My Bassman had some mods in it, adjustable bias vs balance (which I kept) and some other nonsense I removed, including disabling the negative feedback. It is a much more ballsy and powerful amp with its bigger iron and three stage preamp. I love it as well, but you need a big room to accommodate its capability!

handyman11

Gold Supporting Member
Which channel do you use on the Bandmaster , as a pedal platform ......and bright switch off or on ?

gldtp99

I run a BF Bandmaster on the Normal channel with bright switch off for cleans----Right now in my shop I have a '65 Bandmaster (w/Heyboer 4/8/16 ohm Bassman type OT) and a '66 Bassman----- both stacked on a '74 SF Twin Reverb........................gldtp99

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
While the BF Bandmaster is a great amp, you haven't lived until you've played a Blond one (although finding one for $400 could be tough)!