Fender Bassman Head question

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
Another Fender Bassman question.

I see a number of Fender Bassman (SF) "50" and "100" heads for sale for fairly reasonable prices.

I see, from doing a bit of research that these two models were produced between 1972 and 1977.
I also read that they have the AC568 circuit... and the 50 has two 6L6s, the 100 has four.

Can either of these models be completely brought back to AB864 and/or AB165 circuit specs ?

How are the transformers in these amps ( Bassman 50 and 100) ?

AR-305

I blackfaced a 74 BM 100 as well as changed the bass channel to a marshall 2203 preamp. It was stunning and the customer was thrilled. Also added presence control. The marshall pre into the BF output is magical. Plenty of room to add the additional 12AX7 as well.

sickboy79

The 568 should be. The 100 watt models are different. If you're looking for a BF Bassman head - I'd take the time and seek out a AA864 or AB165 myself. You can also find the AB165 circuit in SF models and save a couple bucks. Sound the same. The 568 circuit is different, and while I haven't played one, all reports are it doesn't sound as good. For the money to convert it, it would be better to just get a real one, IMO.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
There's a sf bassman with just "Basman Amp" on the faceplate. Those are the preferable sf bassmans IMO.

ncyankee

I was just playing my bassman 100 and it might be he perfect pedal platform amp. I always thought the Twin was the best but my bassman is incredible. I don't think you will be unhappy with any model especially with the dirt cheap prices they are available at.

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
'68-'70 with the dripedge, same circuit as blackface.
Thanks... Yes I knew that the Drip Edge SF Fenders were the same circuit as the BF.

But what I was wondering was why specifically a SF Bassman Head that just says Bassman on the faceplate instead of Bassman 50 would be more preferable ?

Did the circuit or some specific aspect of the amp change when it went from SF Bassman to SF Bassman 50 ?

Belmont

Thanks... Yes I knew that the Drip Edge SF Fenders were the same circuit as the BF.

But what I was wondering was why specifically a SF Bassman Head that just says Bassman on the faceplate instead of Bassman 50 would be more preferable ?

Did the circuit or some specific aspect of the amp change when it went from SF Bassman to SF Bassman 50 ?
I think the circuit did change along with the Bassman 50 designation, how it changed, I don't know.
68 was the only drip edge year, I have a 1970 Bassman that's not drip edge and it says "Bassman Amp" on the face plate.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The Bassman 50 was just the new name after 72 AFAIK and the circuit was basically the same: hum balance and all. I don't think you'd have much trouble blackfacing a Bassman 50. Less sure about a Bassman 100, and for guitar, you don't need 100w…

Axis29

The thing about the Bassman 50 is the the iron is the same as the BF amps. Same part numbers, specs, etc. that would make it easier to Blackface it. I believe it also has the correct number of preamp tubes. Whereas the 100 has fewer gain stages (I think, don't quote me, I'm absolutely NOT an expert)

I always laugh when people tell me the Bassman 50 is undesirable as well. I've got one and it's a fantastic sounding guitar amp. But, hey, maybe I'll just start stock piling them while they're still affordable!

Trending Topics