Fender Bassman Questions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sovtekking, Jul 5, 2008.

1. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I've got a line on a silverface bassman that needs a recap (I took it apart and the filter caps and whatnot are swelling/leaking) and new tubes, but I can proly get it from the guy for about 200$ since he doesn't really care about it that much. He's not a musician so it has little value to him. Would you guys pick this thing up? Also, what kinds of mods/cool stuff can you do with a silverface bassman? PICs of yours along with reviews would be nice as well.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  2. frank62

frank62 Member

At 200 you can't go wrong. A classic amp from Fender. I don't believe in modding these old amps. They sound supurb in their stock form.

3. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Go for it: Bassmans are fantastic and easy to work on. I would try it stock first and not worry about the hype that says AB165 are not up to the AA864 circuit, I actually prefer the AB165, I have an old AAorAB165 FEI 1965 bassman and it sounds unbelievably good even when it needs new tubes and some caps . . . fantastic amps, straight forward and tonefull.

4. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

yah dude absolutely go for it. I do think various silverfaces can use a LITTLE tweaking / cleaning up but I'd generally agree about being against the blindly gut-it-and-start-over-blackface-repro idiocy. if it has that weird crap around the PI and power tubes, you might want to clean that up a bit, but doesn't mean you have to go completely anal on the thing - obsessing that the "AB123" circuit was the only possible exact perfect amp misses the point and is a load of BS anyway. but I digress/rant.

so what circuit IS in there? I long lament not having picked up a really sweet one in a music store back in the early 90's when they were a dime a dozen, it sounded great through a marshal 4x12. I make do with my "blonde-face" 6G6-B but it's a whole different thing...

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

mid period Bassman (1964-1969) amps are very cool.200 is a great price.buy it,find a good tech,and get it up and running.you will not be dissapointed.

6. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm an EE so I can do the work myself. The cap job is actually a pretty painless ordeal for me. I have a good tech, but why pay him when I can do it myself. Thanks guys, I'm gonna make the guy an offer on it and see if he'll bite since he doesn't really care anything about the amp.