Fender bassman tube question

martyhk0

I have a fender bassman reissue. I have a few semi noob questions. It has a ss 5ar4, 2 6l6, 3 12ax7.
theres no problem swapping a tube 5ar4/gz34 for the ss one right? What about a different rectifier tube, like a 5r4 or a 5u4??
what about swapping in some 12ay7? how would that change the sound? what positions would you put a 12ay7 in?
Thanks

billyguitar

The 12AY7 in at least V1 will give you a smoother nicer tone. It will still distort plenty when it's cranked.

rockindillo

I've got a 12AU7 in the first hole on my (harp amp) Bassman. This is common practice for harp players using super-high impedence bullet mics, as a way of lowering the gain and giving the volume control a bit more "range". (Otherwise, it's more like an on-off switch than a volume control.)

Blue Strat

Yeah, AU7s are very common for harp players and not a problem in amps that are probably already too loud (harp players with 12AX7s in all sockets of a Bassman don't have many friends;)).

A 12AU7 in a guitar amp first stage typically drops the volume too much. They tend to do better in overdrive channels that have over the top distortion that needs to be reined in.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom