Fender Bassman vs Marshall

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by garyrogue, Feb 21, 2012.

1. garyrogue

garyrogue Gold Supporting Member

Hi
    I'm have been curious about the Fender Bassman, I guess it is the tweed, has the 4x10s. Knowing that Marshall evolved from the Bassman (I think from what has been stated) I was wondering how does a Bassman compare to a 50 watt Marsahll? I have Germino L55 with which I'm very happy with, but still wonder about that 4x10 bassman. Should I put the Bassman out of my head?
    thanks Gary

2. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

a bassman plus a good marshally pedal gives you an insane amount of range and balls...

i've never played a germino before... but i stopped getting the urge to try other amps after i got my bassman a couple years ago. if you are very happy with the germino... maybe you shouldn't mess up a good thing!!!

3. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

If you want to compare them, you'll have to play through both. The Marshall used EL34, which are different from 6L6. They also used different parts values, based on what was originally available and the line voltage being different means only that the power transformer is different- the other voltages are easy enough to achieve using the line voltage in the US or England.

Some people like one output tube more than the other- some like both, but for their own reasons. Marshall amps have been on so many classic recordings that it's impossible for anyone to say they don't sound great, although I'll admit that I'm awfully partial to the sound of my amp, which I have had for over 30 years- my 1st real amp was a '55 Bassman, so I guess it's a pattern.

Try a real Bassman if you get the chance- you may find that you really like it. OTOH, the new Twin-O-Luxe is a really good sounding amp, too. I just saw Greg Koch do a clinic last week and he used one of those and a Super Sonic- both sounded amazing.

4. Griz

Griz Member

The narrow panel 4x10 tweed Bassman is indeed the inspiration for the Marshall JTM45. But they are quite different animals due to the fact that Marshall used different transformers and 12" Celestion speakers. By the time the first SS rectified Marshall 50 watt amps appeared - the model 1987 - Marshall had also switched from 5881 output tubes to the more familiar EL34's, again moving the sound away from Fender.

If you were to play through examples of both, you would likely hear a bit of "family resemblance" even with all the changes Marshall made.

A tweed style Bassman will have a much broader and more beautiful range of clean sounds than a Marshall 50 watt; but the Marshall will smoke the Fender for grind.

Another interesting alternative is the 6G6B blond Bassman. It's a harder sounding amp than the tweed. It's aggressive like a Marshall 50 watt, though different sounding, but it still has the gorgeous Fender cleans.

5. garyrogue

Hey thanks, and of course it sounds like I have to try them and like both of them. Thanks for tips and insights.

6. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

The JTM-45 gravitated to the KT66 tubes when the American made 5881 tubes became difficult to get in large quantities. In my mind, this is the quintisential JTM-45. I believe Marshall even used EL34 tubes with some, but I believe the KT66 tubes were used more than any other.

The Germino Classic 45 replicates the JTM-45 and any of the above tubes can be used with it. I'm certainly not trying to put words in Greg's mouth, but I believe he prefers KT66 tubes if vintage tubes are used, but I believe I've read that he isn't crazy about any of the current KT66's. Current 6L6 tubes seem to be better made than current KT66 tubes and there are many more choices for vintage 6L6's at a much lower cost.

With that said, I just bit the bullet and bought a pair of GEC/Genalex KT66's. I don't have a Classic 45 yet, but I hope to soon. I tried the GEC's in my Club 40 and they sounded wonderful. I plan to continue to use EL34's (Mullard XF2) in this amp and save the KT66's for the Classic 45.

I like the current Bassman LTD. I think it is a very good amp that is probably close in tone (if not design) to an original, but the Germino Classic 45 is a killer amp too. It probably gets close to an original Bassman and I'm sure it gets nearly as close to an original JTM-45 as most anything currently made. Greg's amps are definitely top shelf.

7. garyrogue

vmjoe, thanks for JTM-45 ideas. So that, maybe with 6l6 tubes may be close to a bassman, suppling that broader and beautiful range cleaner sounds, yet different enough than L55. And I love Greg's amps.

I should also add that I have a Clark tyger also, 3x10, tweed bandmaster? Is the Bassman still much different than that?
    Sorry if getting to scattered brain.

8. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Different, yes, but in the ballpark. If you're interested in one, you should definitely try one, at least one of the reissues. You may like it more or less than the Marshall style amps and Bandmaster clone that you have.

9. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

Oh, btw garyrogue, if you want to hear a killer hand wired modern take on the Fender Bassman, check out a Grammatico Kingsville. That is another top shelf amp imo.

10. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Although they are similar in circuit design there are plenty of pronounced differences in each (and depending on exactly which bassman and marshall designed you have) that add up to each having a unique and different sound.This is a rough generalization, but I played both and found a marshall rig to be more mid focused, with a tighter tone, with a bit more gain.