Fender BF Deluxe Reverb Experts (Speaker?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lgehrig4, Mar 3, 2012.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I just received a '66 De;uxe Reverb in a trade and was told that the speaker was original. It's a Jenson and it looks like an older speaker, but it is 16ohms. I read that this amp came stock with an 8ohm speaker.

Just taking the fact that it is 16ohms, can this be the original speaker?

I also read that people prefer the tone of 16ohm speakers through this amp, but I'm just interested in knowing if it is original. I have no idea if they used both 8 or 16 depending on what they had available.

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

16 ohms? Not the original speaker.

3. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

If you want a great replacement, get a Reverend Alltone 1250 (12"/50w). Joe Naylor had these designed to replicate the original Jensen-made Special Design speakers that originally came in these amps.

4. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

I put a 2x10" baffle in mine '66 FDR - more mojo!

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Not the original.

6. lgehrig4

I'm not looking to replace the speaker or keep the amp. I traded because it was local and I wanted to try a DR. Any idea how much it would affect the price? I'll take a close up photo of the speaker and post here later.

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

It really doesn't matter what the speaker looks like because, at 16 ohms, it's not original to the amp. As for the affect on the price; a die hard collector would say about $150-$200 less where a player wouldn't really care much because he's going to swap the speaker for something else anyway.

8. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

Depending on what you paid for the amp, it might work in you favor to find a speaker that is dated to you amp but in 8 ohms. You have a nice amp there. Why do you want to move it? These amps are hard to find and they sound great.
    I don't think the ohms has anything to do with the tone. Find an 8 ohm speaker!

9. lgehrig4

According to the seller the speaker is from '66. He said that it could have been reconed and that someone as a local speaker repair shop told him that ohms could be changed with a reconing.

As far as why I'm selling. I wasn't looking for a Deluxe Reverb or any other amp for that matter. I am selling a bunch of amps and he offered an even trade. Since the market is slow I figured I would give it a try just to check out a DR. I have too many amps. It sounds great no doubt and it's in very good condition, just don't need it.

I'll probably enjoy it for a while before I list it.

10. fiftynine

fiftynine Member

If it's a real 66 Jensen C and it's already had a recone, get it re-reconed for 8 ohms and it will be the perfect speaker for that amp and the most desirable collector wise (aside from the factory original).

You'll have heard a DR as it should be (assuming it's right in all other respects) and maximised your asset. No brainer.

11. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

8 ohm was original. If you are looking for a replacement recommendation, Emi Cannibud Rex is great pairing.

12. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

I switched mine over to a 2 x 10 baffle and love the sound,
    BUT! I liked many different 12'' speakers in the amp: Weber 12F150, C Rex, WGS ET-65,
    and a V30.

13. lgehrig4

Actually, I wasn't looking for a replacement because I wasn't planning on keeping it. However, I happened to have an 8ohm Emi Red, White & Blues laying around so I thought I'd pop it in.

Holy Sh**! What a difference! There is no possible way the original speaker, 8 or 16ohm, sounds as good as this. Fat and smooth. My Bruno wants to sound like this, but is too polite. May have to keep it around for a little while.

14. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

I like the Red White and Blues and the Texas Heat from Emi myself.