• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fender -> Big sound -> Headroom

Wannabe

Ok so here's the deal.
I play an '82 Rivera-designed Fender Concert which I'm starting to dislike.
It has 2 channels, but I only use the clean channel on the amp, because the overdrive channel is too middy even with the mid control dimed all the way.
So my amp needs replacement.

I play a parts strat, Fender CIJ Tele and a Höfner 355 Copy (Verythin)
I'm looking for an amp with a big clean sound. Think John Mayer. It needs to be warm, thick and not too 'chimey'. With a round and warm high end.
Also, my Concert 'peaks' so I would like more compression from the amp itself so it's a tad less dynamic, but it does'nt have annoying peaks.
The low end has to be tight. My Concert does a bit of 'flubber' when played on the low strings.
The amp also has to be balanced in terms of EQ. My Concert is too 'middy' and I would like a more balanced EQ sound. I even prefer higher bass and treble and lower mids than more mids and less bass & highs.
I'd also like headroom. So 40-50 watts would do the trick, and a mastervolume would also be very nice. I'd like the control whether I want clean or a little bit hair. (I dont' want tube OD, I drive with stompboxes, but sometimes I like a bit of dirt on my clean channel)
Also, the Concert has to be really loud to have a good sound, and I don't like that, so it must sound nice on acceptable volumes too.

I thought of a Fender Bassman, but I checked some Youtube movies which showed that it already overdrives on 3. Is that really loud?
I guess a Twin reverb is also a good option, but those amps are really heavy, and I'm not the strongest dude around.

Can you guys give me some tips?
Budget is around 700-750 euro's (I think I could buy a used Bassman for that). That's around 950 $.

Thnx in advance.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I'd make a twin into a head. Unless you can find a big Showman. Bassman break up earlier. You probably need more headroom.

The speaker idea is a good check too.

fishlog

Silver Supporting Member
I would second the Showman. Its a head obviously so you could use it with a variety of cabs and it would be much less heavier than a twin to lug around.

jmckeown88

I am a huge JM fan, and I've had great luck with a Super Reverb. I actually have it mounted in a head right now and run it with a 212 or 410 (or both). Great punchy sound, lots of detail, sounds great.

You might also check out the Deluxe, they also sound wonderful and break up a touch sooner.

WinstonN

Gold Supporting Member
I am a huge JM fan, and I've had great luck with a Super Reverb. I actually have it mounted in a head right now and run it with a 212 or 410 (or both). Great punchy sound, lots of detail, sounds great.

You might also check out the Deluxe, they also sound wonderful and break up a touch sooner.
What 12's are you running with the Super?

PittJitsu

I'm a big fender amp fan. Even a champ I have played through a nice 4x12 ( all I have) is amazing. I love the combos for strats but none of mine, Champ, Princeton or dlx, seem to like Pafs. using it as a head into good speakers really makes a huge positive where a les paul is concerned.
When that fails, its Bogner time!

jmckeown88

I think you're talking DRRI, not HRDLX?
Aren't they a tad bright for JM type tones?
Yeah the DRRI,

I don't find them to be too bright at all. I didn't like the stock speaker at first, but it has broken in very nicely and sounds great, I also thought it was a touch bright at first (nothing that couldn't be solved with a twist of the eq control), but I switched out v1 for a JJ gold-pin 12AX7 I had laying around and it warmed and smoothed it out quite nicely.

Now I like it just as much as the Super, just for different reasons.
If I'm going to a quick gig at the college or whatever, the Deluxe is grab and go. It is very portable which is great, and it sounds big and punchy. When I play bigger gigs, I'll take the Super and the Deluxe and run them in stereo, with a variety of cabs, generally the Super through a 212 and the deluxe either through its internal 112, or through a 410 cab.

The deluxe sounds similar to the super, but with a little bit more grit when you dig in, the two sound GREAT as a stereo pair.

shark_bite

The Deluxe Reverb could get you to John Mayer land pretty easily, unless you need a ton of volume and you're not miked. Check out the song "Hope I Heard You Wrong" on my soundclick if you're worried they're too bright. Since that recording I swapped out the ceramic for a JBL and I've got even more clean headroom and tightness now. I actually think I'm going to have to rerecord that song with a different guitar (and amp maybe) just so it doesn't sound so much like JM.

Regarding the Bassman, it doesn't break up at 3. But it's not the cleanest amp all the way up, plus there's no reverb. If you're going for a really clean Mayer sound at higher volume, you're probably best off with a Twin, a Super, or if you've got the scratch for one, a Vibro King. Or a Pro Reverb or a Vibroverb, actually... just about any blackface-voiced Fender could get you there. Or an Omega-modded Hot Rod Deluxe.

God, the more I think about it, there are a LOT of options for getting that tone if you want it.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I'd look for a SF Pro or Super, should cost you in the $1000 ballpark, great amps and not losing value right now.

Wannabe

Hey dudes, thanks for all the feedback! Really appreciate it!
So most of y'all say DRRI. I'm surely gonna check one out, next time I'm in my local Guitar store!

Shark_bite: Really like your tone on the "hope I heard you wrong" song. Sounds kinda JM to me! You recorded the solo clean, or did you use a slight boost?

BadHat

Gold Supporting Member
Vibro King is not a clean amp, plus it's way out of his price range.

mrbill

I'd look for a SF Pro or Super, should cost you in the $1000 ballpark, great amps and not losing value right now.
I agree. I used to own a blackface Pro Reverb, and what you said you're looking for - clean, but with some "hair" - described that amp exactly. A blackface would ( probably ) be well beyond what you're aiming to spend, but a silverface ( probably ) wouldn't be. Also, I believe silverfaces tend to have more clean headroom than blackfaces, so that might be perfect for you.

Laheart

I think you really need to check out different speakers for the Concert. I have the optional EVM-12L in mine and am getting all of the sounds you say you don't have in yours. Big clean, tight bass and sparkly clean when I need it. In fact I like the Concert so well that I bought a second one, also with the EVM. I had to really spend some time tweaking the drive channel to get the sound I wanted but it's worth the hassle.

shark_bite

So most of y'all say DRRI. I'm surely gonna check one out, next time I'm in my local Guitar store!

Shark_bite: Really like your tone on the "hope I heard you wrong" song. Sounds kinda JM to me! You recorded the solo clean, or did you use a slight boost?
Thanks! The only thing between my guitar and my amp for that was a Carl Martin Surf Trem so I could get it slow enough (the onboard trem is a little fast on the DR). Also, for what it's worth, that's a 73 Deluxe Reverb, not an RI. It sounds better than any DRRI I've played, but then again, it's got JJs in the power section and not the stock tubes that have been in every DRRI I've played.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member

Make sure you bring the Concert along for an A/B at the level at which you play.
Imo, DR's hit a headroom topstop that could kill your tone way before a Concert (with good speakers). ymmv

Trending Topics