• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fender Blender RI vs TWA Triskelion?

So I'm looking for a Fender Blender-y pedal under 200 used and these seem to cover similar ground. I know the Triskelion is based off of the Systech Harmonic Energizer, but it really sounds much more like a Fender Blender to me based off of the demos. Anyone have experience with both of these? Pros and cons of each? I've heard about the Blender RI's volume drop issue, is it that significant/dramatic? Let me hear your thoughts.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
They're hard to compare, being different categories of effects, and all.

One's a fuzz, and one's a filter.

They're hard to compare, being different categories of effects, and all.

One's a fuzz, and one's a filter.
Understood, but if I'm not mistaken the demos would indicate the Triskelion has a decent amount of drive in it (unlike the original Harmonic Energizer) as well, and to my ears comes very close to some of the harmonic overtones produced by the Fender Blender. I realize they're not the same exact thing, I'm just looking for some impressions, more so about the Triskelion, which I can't seem to find many hands-on accounts of. Perhaps a direct comparison is
not fair, but if you could buy either one for the same price, which one would you go for?

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
The Trisk is not a fuzz. It's a filter that can add mad drive (can blow your speaker depending on settings) - especially in the lower register.

It's sweep is tricky to control with a Moog pedal in my experience. To my ears, it also seemed like bass frequencies sweeps had more volume than upper register sweeps. I don't think this was all psycho-acoustics.

If you get one, you'll likely sweep a lot less than you think you will before you get it. The sweeping is more for effect at certain moments.

It does color your tone a bit when on at any setting.

The Trisk is not a fuzz. It's a filter that can add mad drive (can blow your speaker depending on settings) - especially in the lower register.

It's sweep is tricky to control with a Moog pedal in my experience. To my ears, it also seemed like bass frequencies sweeps had more volume than upper register sweeps. I don't think this was all psycho-acoustics.

If you get one, you'll likely sweep a lot less than you think you will before you get it. The sweeping is more for effect at certain moments.
+1..and heed Flatscan's "can blow your speaker" guidance- the TK has 30db+ of gain available and twisting the knobs even at moderate volume *will* yield some ear/speaker piercing frequencies.

I own two of the V1 Triskellions and they're best suited to doing a fixed "cocked wah pedal" effect...I haven't used a pedal with either of them in forever, but if I remember correctly, the expression input has the ring and tip reversed from many popular expression pedals (e.g. Boss FV-5 and FV-3000).

This clip captures the V1 very well:

Hmm... I think I want both of them. :bonk But I also think the fender blenders probably best suited for my needs since I don't really need the sweeps, more just the harmonic resonance for solos, and I kinda like the way the Fender Blender harmonics seem heavily responsive to your playing.

Hmm... I think I want both of them. :bonk But I also think the fender blenders probably best suited for my needs since I don't really need the sweeps, more just the harmonic resonance for solos, and I kinda like the way the Fender Blender harmonics seem heavily responsive to your playing.
I don't have any firsthand experience with the Fender Blender, but the demo on YouTube sounds to me like fuzz followed by a ring modulator. Maybe a ring modulator type pedal might get you the effect that you're looking for?

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
I recently acquired a Fender Blender Reissue for $90 including shipping. That kind of price while not common is far from unique.

Although I haven't been able to spend a great deal of time with it, as soon as one plays it it becomes immediately apparent that it's got some very nasty sounds in it - I am very impressed!

I don't have any firsthand experience with the Fender Blender, but the demo on YouTube sounds to me like fuzz followed by a ring modulator. Maybe a ring modulator type pedal might get you the effect that you're looking for?

In re: Pointy Headstock's suggestion of looking at ring modulators: that's a very good idea BUT... if you don't have any experience with ring modulators, be sure to do a lot of research before investing in one. They tend to be extremely non-intuitive (except when they are blatantly counter-intuitive) and can be very frustrating if you don't put in the effort to really understand the operating principles. (Warning: there's math involved.)

Subdecay made some very informative videos about their Vitruvian Mod ring modulator; but the Vitruvian Mod seems to be rather an atypical ring modulator: I don't know how much their videos apply to other ring mods. But their videos are worth watching.

(Full disclosure: I have a Vitruvian Mod in a box on one of my shelves here and I'd be embarrassed to admit to how long it's been sitting there with no attention from me: I need to come to grips with it...)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom