Fender Blender: worth taking seriously?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NewarkWilder, Jul 16, 2008.

1. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

or no?

Everything I've read is "indie cred" this and "indie cred" that... well, i play indie rock and a pedal doesn't give you indie cred, the music you play does. I've watched demos, heard sound clips, been sorta... meh... on it. but i've got a nice oppurtunity to pick up a near mint condition reissue for a really good price.

so help me decide. heres what i've got so far.

cons-

1) from what ive heard, it seems nearly impossible to dial in a good tone.
    2) who has that kind of room on their pedalboard?
    3) i already have a solid collection of f'ed up octave type fuzzes

pros-

1) supposedly, its the kewlest.

can anybody add anything there to tip the scale? right now i'm thinking im gonna pass on it, but part of me still kinda wants to sit down and play with it and see what i can get out of it.

2. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Member

I've heard that the volume drop is pretty bad too.

3. seiko

seiko Member

Can get pretty trebly but doesn't have to be, there's a very decent band of gypsys setting in the manual, also does some very good Stooges Raw Power and VU type tones.

4. jdavyd

jdavyd Member

maybe if it's a really good deal. i can't help but feel like the money might be better spent on another octavey fuzz like something from the devi ever line.

5. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

as somebody who owns a shoe gazer, hyperion, and w/ a spectacular aenima on the way this post kinda confirms what ive been thinking... id rather pick up a devi gz or something over a blender i'll probably wind up not using

thanks everybody!

6. jdavyd

jdavyd Member

DE doesn't get a lot of love around here. i'm currently grooving hard on the rocket.

7. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

nice nice nice. ive been wanting a rocket pretty badly too. i looooove devi pedals. they are my secret weapons hehe. i only usually keep one or two harsh fuzzes like that in my chain but ive got a little stockpile of devi & death by audio stuff that most people seem to pass right over. i dunno, i love em.

8. jdavyd

jdavyd Member

the rocket was certainly an eye opener for me. and loud! whew. i'm quite pleased with how it works with other pedals as well. despite it's noise and oddness i find it to be quite musical. some chorus and delay and i can play for days.

when i kick that second switch in it really does sound like the end of the world.

(sorry for hijacking)

9. sandman

sandman Member

I have never tried the reissue, I've got the original couple of months ago. It's an absolutely stunning pedal for me...

to answer your questions:
    1) bullsh**t
    2) n/a .... but it doesn't care where is it in the chain so you can park it next to your board.
    3) it's my 1st octave fuzz so I wouldn't know that

So...It has loads of output, no volume drop with settings I like. I guess certain settings without the midboost activated can be a lil quiet but you can get to at least unity. It responds nicely to your playing and actually cleans up a bit in a useful way - don't expect FF cleanup but it's there.

It's an amazing and unique HUGE sound that cuts like a mofo but it's plenty more versatile than that...I'm able to get octavia stuff out of it but I doubt it that's what u want it for...

10. jdavyd

jdavyd Member

FYI the volume drop is an issue in the reissue only, not the original.

11. sandman

sandman Member

then get one or a booteeq clone of sorts

12. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have an original and don't remember a volume drop issue.

13. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

haha ok folks simmer down. i appreciate everybody's take on it. i know this machine has a well-earned reputation... its just a question of want rather than need for me right now and i just don't think i need it. maybe i'll play one one day and go "omg! why didn't i get this years ago!" but there will probably be a lot of those down the line.

14. sandman

sandman Member

yeah, that's simply the deal with fuzzes ;)

I don't think you'd be having a hard time finding a RI anytime in the future. I found the original by pure accident.

15. orange worker

orange worker Supporting Member

i concur - the reissue sucks and the original sounds a hell of a lot better

16. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

alright well i'll file that away. be taking a pass on the reissue but if i run across an original i'll definitely give it a chance if i can. tgp to the rescue :D

17. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

OK.. Which Reissue?? They updated the unit this year.

18. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

^^^^^^^^

Please explain. Although, this might be the reason the price jumped up to almost $200 now.

19. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I can not locate the PDF from Fender with the update info.I do remember some issues were addressed.. As for the Price?? Prices have been going up steady for the past year for Manufacturers. Consumer was not seeing it like the distributor. But Now it is having to be passed on to the consumer..If I find the pdf I will post more info. Keith