Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue amp with a lower wattage speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guitar1969, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

Hey Guys:

I have a quick question for the group. I may be looking at trade of my Fender Twin Reverb Reissue for a smaller Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue that has a Celestion G12m Greenback Heritage speaker. From what I understand looking at the Celestion site, that speaker is 20watts RMS and the amp is 40Watts tube. Isn't that a no no and I run the risk of blowing the speaker when cranking it(not that I will be doing that often). The guy claims that is what GC recommended as a correct speaker when he bought the amp. The speaker is like $175 alone new so would hate to blow it out, or hinge the deal on that speaker.

Thoughts, feedback, recommendations?

Michael

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Member

You can always swap out the speaker if you really want the amp...

3. Semitone

Semitone Member

Yes, you are running the risk of destroying the speaker. It will also distort more. Not sure why somebody would recommend that speaker unless the guy always played at low power, wanted early breakup or didn't mind taking the risk of trashing his $175 speaker.

You can replace the speaker but that is going to cost you a few extra bucks. i.e cost of a new speaker.

4. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

That's what I figured but wondering the relationship of 20watt RMS to 40Watt on the amp, which I would assume is a peak amount

5. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

That amp will blow that speaker easily. The Blues Deluxe is a loud 40 watts, and cranked amps always exceed their power ratings. A Heritage Greenback has nowhere near enough power handling capability for that amp. I would not put a speaker in it with less than a 50-watt capability, but 65 watts would be safer.

On a side note, I used to run a 20-watt Heritage in an AC15 I had. Of course it handled the 15 watts just fine, but I came to the conclusion that, while I love the Greenback sound, the speaker is just not meant for an open back 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet. Put four of them in a closed back cabinet and they've got tons of punch and plenty of bass. Put one in an open cabinet and there's no bass whatsoever and it doesn't have the necessary projection.

6. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

Well my Twin Reverb is def worth more(I am trying to downsize), so I am going to need some extra cash too, but he's trying to factor in the value of speaker(he will give me the Original too), but if it's a mismatch it doesn't make the deal as appealing - If it were me, I wouldn't put in a $175 Celeston in it - I would have gone with a cheaper Guitar Warehouse Speaker, as they are more bang for your buck and sound close to my ears.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  7. Semitone

Semitone Member

I'll try to check but I would have thought the 40 watt rating for the amp is RMS, not peak to peak.

8. Semitone

Semitone Member

fyi: Fender Service manual says 40W RMS.

9. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

What are you looking for - more break-up at lower volumes?

Not sure about very recent Blues Deluxes, but up until a few years ago the "Eminence Special Design for Fender" speakers that came stock in Hotrod/ Blues Deluxes (including the one that was in mine) were exactly that: break-up city. Despite their wattage rating and crispness at very low volume, they crunched down easily and had a reedy, flubbery low end at stage volumes.

I did what many other people have done successfully, which was to swap out for a more efficient speaker, rather than less. I put a 75w Eminence Governor in my Blues Deluxe and, with a few tube swaps (lower gain V1, 12AT7 phase inverter) this thing puts out the best cleans I have ever heard.

I used my upgraded-speaker Blues Deluxe pretty extensively on this track:
    http://sorashima.bandcamp.com/track/acidhouse