Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue V1 Tube Location

DesertSand56

Could use some tech help. Would like to replace the 12AX7 in V1 position on a Fender BDRI with a 12AY7. I tried to research some info on the location of the V1 position and the info was mixed with one source stating the V1 position on the BDRI is the smaller tube to the farthest right of the larger tubes. Not really sure about this info and could use some tech advice.

Pic of the back of the amp shows the three 12AX7 tubes. Two of them (on the right) have a foam insulator. The third one, on the left, does not have any foam or metal support device.

A diagram that’s affixed to the inside of the cabinet shows tube location but no designations for V1, V2, etc. There is no etching/lettering on the chassis. Any assistance would be appreciated.

DesertSand56

Thanks for the replies. Haven’t made the tube swap yet but when I get home and finish the swap I’ll report back if there was any improvement.

DesertSand56

The possible improvement I’m looking for with this tube swap is lessen any additional noise from the amp, especially the 60hz noise from my Strats and Teles, by lowering the gain factor of the 12AX7 V1 tube (100) with the lower gain factor of the 12AY7 (45-50). Granted there will always be some 60hz noise from single coils I have tried to minimize that by shielding and good grounding. I rarely use the BDRI gain channel and mostly use the clean channel.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
The possible improvement I’m looking for with this tube swap is lessen any additional noise from the amp, especially the 60hz noise from my Strats and Teles, by lowering the gain factor of the 12AX7 V1 tube (100) with the lower gain factor of the 12AY7 (45-50). Granted there will always be some 60hz noise from single coils I have tried to minimize that by shielding and good grounding. I rarely use the BDRI gain channel and mostly use the clean channel.
You might be in for a disappointment. The 12AY7 does indeed have less gain, but that usually means you'll want to turn up the volume to get the loudness you had before, which in turn can cause some PI/power tube OD and you're at a loudness point where the 60hz hum is apparent again.

Give it a go and see, it might be great for you. Plug in and get the hum going, then physically orientate (move) yourself around until the hum goes down significantly. It won't totally go away, but the reduction will be noticeable. The old time term for this technique may offend some members.

HotBluePlates

The possible improvement I’m looking for with this tube swap is lessen any additional noise from the amp, especially the 60hz noise from my Strats and Teles ...
Nothing you can do at the amp (except possibly via EQ) will change the fact that single-coils hum, and can make really awful noise in some environments. Swapping to a 12AY7 will have the same basic result as turning the amp's Volume control down some.

I mostly play a Tele with bog-standard single coils. Either ignore the noise, or change the direction the guitar faces to minimize noise pickup.

DesertSand56

Thanks for the replies and advice. Had an opportunity to try out the BDRI after the swap at home. Was hoping to use it for rehearsal today and gigs on Thursday and this weekend but those gigs were cancelled in our area. At home volume I could hear an improvement playing clean and using pedals which is good but this amp is my main gigging amp and was looking forward to really pushing it at practice and the gigs. Right now only time will tell if the swap yields any significant improvement at gig levels.

Last edited:

Trending Topics