Fender Blues Jr NOS questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TelecasterBlues, Aug 18, 2008.

1. TelecasterBlues

TelecasterBlues Member

I haven't tried a Blues Jr out in quite a while, but I'm intriqued by the newer tweed NOS model due to all the good remarks. I've got a Mesa F30 head that has beautiful cleans, absolutely wonderful stuff, but not exactly the same as a Fender mostly due to a Voxy influence that the el84s give.

As of late, I've been wanting some classic Fender clean tones as well as pushed blues tones in a small "pick up and go" package since I don't have a combo amp. So does the Blues Jr nail the more classic "Fender" clean tones or does it also have a British flair due to the el84s? Should I skip the Blues Jr NOS and go for something like an upgraded Champion 600 or a Blues Deluxe for more classic 6L6/6V6 Fender cleans?

2. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Just see what you like. I think the Pro Jr. sounds better than the Blues Jr.

3. frank62

frank62 Member

The std BJ is cleaner than the NOS. The 84s are in there and you will know it. Still sounds like a Fender and especially with Fender guitars. HB and other "hot" pups will sound more Marshall thru the BJ. The PJ is a cool little amp as well.

4. tjbackstage

tjbackstage Member

I have the BJ tweed NOS with the Jensen C12N and I highly regret buying it. I got it a year ago and the input jack, pots, and power tubes have gone out on me constantly. It has a 1-year warantee that's now done and is making me pay for the repairs I need done now. I take VERY GOOD CARE of ALL my amps and this one still looks new but acts horribly. EL84 power tubes are bad and don't last long. I also had a Blues Deluxe before this one and it had bad tone. I had the same problems with the input jacks and pots as well. I would never recomend a Fender amp made in Mexico. The Champion 600s are made in China, so that's also not a good place to go. Get something good that's hand wired, not a printed circuit board. But if you're on a big budget and like Fender blackface tone, get the reissue of the Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb. They're still a PCB but made in the USA with much better parts and metal jacks instead of plastic. If you still want to go tweed, get a 59 Bassman RI. Don't get a Blues Deluxe or Deville made in the USA in the 90s because they still have the cheap insides and for that age have serious problems coming their way. You can find good handwired tweed remakes in that price range that would be much more reliable from Vistalux or Sligo. If you want tweed, get one of those. It'll last AND have great tone, better than the Fenders made today by far!!!

5. frank62

frank62 Member

^What would you take for that junk Fender?

6. tjbackstage

tjbackstage Member

I'm not selling it because I still need an amp and I will probably use it as a backup when I get a better one. But if I'm really close, I'll probably sell it for $375 on Craigslist. Hey, some people don't know that it's a bad amp!

7. frank62

frank62 Member

Ok, well good luck with your amp quest. I bought a used blonde BJ several years back for 200 and have not had one minute of trouble with it. Great little amp.

8. tjbackstage

tjbackstage Member

Well, some people don't have problems with the BJ, but I hear about many problems with them from people who use them a lot. I have my amp turned on for 5 hours each day and play through it for 2-3 hours each day and bring it to gigs and rehearsals 1-4 times each week. You must be VERY lucky to not have the problems with yours that I'm having with mine!

9. frank62

frank62 Member

Man, I am sorry about your amp troubles. I have heard many say they do not like the sound of them but not many say they are as bad as yours with breaking down. As much as you use that thing it must work once and a while?

10. tjbackstage

tjbackstage Member

It works, but then the input jack will start cutting in and out and the hissing begins when the power tubes go bad and then the amp will sound generally more distorted when the pots go bad. And then I have to pay up to $150 for all of that to be replaced. Not worth it if you ask me.