Fender Blues Junior 4 vs Pro Junior 4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rjbee, Jan 5, 2020.

1. rjbee

rjbee Member

Any thoughts ?

Peppy likes this.
  2. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    Totally different animals, IMO. After playing both (and having had a v3 Blues Jr. and a v2 NOS Pro Jr.), I went with the Pro 4. Love the sound of it. It, however, is most decidedly not a bedroom amp. It is a loud little sucker, even as low as 3 on the volume. But not only is it loud, it sounds huge for its size. Not boxy at all.

3. Peppy

Peppy Member

Like both but usually take the simplest option. So...I own the Pro Junior IV in the rare fawn covering. Far better-sounding than the Pro Junior III I previously had.

Hey Ray!

4. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

My thought is to do a search. This has been discussed many times. :)

5. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Peppy likes this.
  6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Blues Junior IV is a very good amp and do prefer it over previous versions as well I think it just sounds better and works great with my pedals, tried a Pro jr a while ago but never cared for that EQ layout and early breakup so never bothered with any newer versions.

7. Peppy

Peppy Member

The IV version definitely fixed the early breakup on the Pro Junior. I gig mine out and stay clean enough, and loud enough, at 6-7 on the volume dial. My III version would have been grungy by then. I have played three IVs and all stayed clean much longer. Plus the distortion is better...tighter and a touch smoother.

8. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

EQ “layout”?
    The Pro Jr still has a single tone control, right?

9. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what I meant it just has a tone control

Figaro likes this.
  10. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I owned both at once and sold the Pro.
    They are both different enough to own and sound great! i put the BJ in a bigger cab and it sounds much better. I can only imagine that the Pro would be great in a bigger cab as well. I kept the BJ because it was 12inch with verb and eq.
    Mine also has a better verb tank then they come with.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    jlagrassa and Haruki like this.
  11. Haruki

Haruki Member

I had a (then) new Blues Junior in 1998 and liked it. It could have used "better" tubes and an alnico (Jensen, Celestion) speaker.

There's not a lot of bells and whistles, but the pure tone of The Fender Pro Junior IV seems very good.

For me, there would be no need to upgrade the speaker, as it employs a Jensen P10R alnico speaker:

[​IMG]

LordByron and Peppy like this.
  12. Haruki

Haruki Member

Do you prefer the Pro Junior with an alnico, or a ceramic magnet speaker?

13. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I have a Pro 4. I put in a Celestion Vintage 10. I could gig it easy. I played a swing orchestra gig with it. I thought I was just going to be playing rhythm all night but the conductor threw me a solo on Straighten Up and Fly Right. It could through the orchestra just fine and filled the room, with a little breakup. Great little amp. I think if I was to use it in a blues situation I might have to use an attenuator if I wanted to dime it. Not much bounce or sag though. I have to keep the tone knob VERY low. I haven't played a Blues Jr in a very long time so no opinion on that.

Peppy likes this.
  14. Alvis

Alvis Member

Im still on the Pro Junior I and II ......Four of 'em .....

Gig Young and Peppy like this.
  15. Peppy

Peppy Member

Alnico. My P10Q sounds great. Needed little break-in. I had a tweed IV briefly (mine is fawn) that had a brighter P10R. Traded for the fawn within an hour or two of it hitting my local store. A few weeks later the store salesman and I were out looking at Craigslist guitars. A friend of his called him to stop by since we were 'in the area'. (In the vast metro Phoenix area that is rare.) We stopped by. He had a slew of amps, guitars, and about 70 pedals. Anyway, he showed me his new amp...the first IV I had. He loves it. :D

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    LordByron and Haruki like this.
  16. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

I have Pro Jr IV Tweed and Fender HM small ported 1x12 cab loaded with a Cannabis Rex speaker. The CREX is a sensitive 102db, equivalent to 50W. It has a high headroom for a small amp with the CREX

I use a MXR 10 band EQ at the input and dial down the bass and high frequencies and boost the mids.

When I play in a band with a drummer, I boost the overdrives with a Barbershop V2, as an attenuator, PJIV volume on ~4 and tone at 1:00 o'clock. The PJIV is on the edge of break up and using a Green Rhino and Red Llama 25th, Camel Toe set up, with pick dynamics and guitar volume, I can get clean, crunch, distortion and leads.

The other amps used are, Fender HRD, Fender PA 100 head and 2x12 cab or Peavey Bandit 65. The PJIV sits in articulate frequencies above the bass, drums and guitars and below cymbals.

The other guitarists use Gibson humbucker and Strats from their respective collections. I play my US 60th Anniversary ash Telecaster, which is articulate in the mix.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/fender-pro-jr-origins.2019988/

The above thread contains arguments, the the Brown Deluxe and Brown Princeton, are the lineage of the very basic circuit of the Pro Jr, with additional parts and changes to the Fender Pro Jr. It is a good read if you are considering the Blues Jr or Pro Jr.

More information on the Fender Brown Deluxe and Brown Princeton:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/fender-brown-princeton-vs-deluxe.1620714/

YMMV

Edit: add content

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    LordByron likes this.
  17. Haruki

Haruki Member

This seems like a cool way to augment The Pro Junior: a real wood cabinet that can accommodate a 12" speaker:

[​IMG]

Then, you would have to get a P12R, but you could realistically sell the P10R:

[​IMG]

Oinkus likes this.
  18. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

I cranked a Pro Jr. in guitar center a few years ago and the sound was just amazing. I should have picked it up. It was very much the sound I have in my head when I think of great tube tone

DV52 and Daytona57 like this.
  19. TearItUpTony

TearItUpTony Member

I just got a Pro Junior; it sounds terrific, no doubt. The potential issue being volume... I use it on the edge of breakup and use my guitar's volume for cleaning it up and a Royal Velvet for more crunch. The lowest I like playing the amp is on 3, but even then, it's pushing over 105 dB! That's already my typical stage volume limit.

Does anyone know if the Blues Junior can get similar tones at lower volumes since it has a master volume?

20. monkeybike

monkeybike Member

You want a Swart Night Light Jr.

TearItUpTony likes this.