Fender Blues Junior Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DrSilentFart, Dec 18, 2009.

1. DrSilentFart

DrSilentFart Member

Hi

I am thinking of getting a Fender Blues Junior, but I would also change the speaker.

What Speaker would you recommend?

I would just like a better overall tone, like better bass response and clearer highs.

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks. :)

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

With all due respect, it's an okay amp, but get something different if you don't like the sound of it.

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Member

I have the NOS, with the Jensen speaker, and I like the sound. If I had the Fender speaker model, I'd be tempted to go with a Weber (I have a Weber 15 in a cab that I plug my Band-Master VM into, and it sounds really full).

4. zaddn

zaddn Member

first of all, i like my blues junior..that being said, it sounds like you are hoping a speaker swap will change just about all of the amps characteristics, which won't happen.

check out billmaudio.com he does a variety of speaker reviews on his site, and his mods might help change some of the characteristics you are talking about.

5. Billm

Billm Member

I generally recommend that the speaker should be the last thing you change, to give the amp the final push into the tone you want.

But here's a whole bunch of speaker reviews in Blues Juniors:

http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=295

6. cber1517

cber1517 Member

This.:agree Bill has some great mods that will really improve that amp, whether you change the speaker or not. A speaker upgrade is only going to do so much. I had a modded Blues Junior and I never changed the speaker because the low end and boxiness of the amp where addressed by the mods.

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

The stock speaker is a 50 watt version of a Legend 125 - not a bad sounding speaker in a low wattage amp.

ellis dee likes this.
  8. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

This

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I don't have a Blues Jr but use a Swamp Thang in my Gries 35 and find your description very accurate. Great evaluation.

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Listen to Pietro. I learned the hard way. After a year of replacement tube and speaker experiments, I sold it and put the proceeds towards a better amp. Consider a better amp for yourself now.

11. Chas

Chas Member

Save some more cash and get the Princeton reverb.

12. gulliver

gulliver Member

Tweed (Jensen) or black tolex (eminence 125 based)?

13. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

+1. I did change out the stock spkr in my Billm-modded BJr to a Texas Heat. However, I put the stock Emi spkr in a Lopoline 1x12 extension cab.

14. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

What did you end up using instead?

15. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

For me I replaced it with bigger amps with attenuators. I just don't like small amps these days. But for a while I had a Deluxe Reverb Reissue which I would NOT have been sorry to be stuck with AT ALL! LOTS of guitar sound great through it.

16. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I've got a tweed and a stock and I prefer the stock.
    I really like the speaker Fender have used, whatever this might be.

also sounds alot more fuller when using a 4x12 cab, realllly nice. those tiny open back spkr cabs will always sound "small"
    Nothing wrong with that, just not what I like whatsoever.

17. Marble

Marble Member

Blues Jrs are awesome amps, I think the haters are just cork sniffers. They can sound a little "boxy", but a different speaker can compensate for it. They are industry standard for gigging musicians who need an amp louder than a champ but quieter than a deluxe. They used to be affordable, but a new one isn't really worth it IMO. I got mine for like $200 or $250 used in January 2008 when they had been at $500 new for awhile.

I've only blown one tube in it, some russian tube, but now I only use USA, British or W. European tubes in it; sounds awesome. I've swapped the stock speaker back and forth a few times with different organ speakers, the stock one isn't horrible but you could do well for an upgrade. I've had to have the treble pot and input jack replaced, but other than that its pretty durable. It's got a 60th anniversary diamond on the back, so I think that makes it an '06.

So if you can spend a few bucks and find a few nice old tubes from an old organ or an old tv repair shop, and maybe put some money into a quality speaker, you'll have a really nice amp.

18. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Pretty much... The amp's bass response is limited by it's cab dimensions. There are some circuit level things that can be done... But all in all if it had a cab that was a bit larger... It would be onto something. Or maybe it would be better off with a 10"? I'd take a Princeton Reverb over the Blues Jr anyday.

19. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I have two Blues Jnrs, which came with a stock Fender (Eminence) speaker and a Jensen (C12N I think). I didn't like the jensen at all, but other folks seem to get great tones from theirs.

I put a G12H into one and a Swamp Thang into the other, and would highly recommend either speaker. The G12H is a little smokier, brighter and lighter in the bass. The Swamp Thang is louder and a little more transparent sounding with great bottom end.

20. Derelict

Derelict Member

NOS w/jensen C12N sounds great. 10X better than the stock speaker, which i don't care who says what, sucks monkey balls! absolutely a HORRIBLE speaker. the C12N is nice, clean, clear, unadulterated fender spank. it makes the blues jr sound very close to a blackface deluxe reverb. some people complain of highs that are too much, but there's a really nice knob labeled "tone" that works great for that. you can roll it back and get a nice, warm, jazz mud tone if you so wish. i tried an eminence GB12 (50 watt greenback) in it and it is a total mismatch, bad speaker for that amp. the mid control works a frequencey that little effect on that speaker. tried an eminence red white and blues and the speaker was very bland. not a lot of character; very generic. i don't know why descriptions say that it has top end sparkle, b/c it has none of it. the top is muddy and not crisp. presented with the amp's natural overdrive, the red white and blues sounds like flabby mudd-butt farts. the GB12 was nothing but mids, and was very unbalanced imo.

here's a NOS w/ jensen C12N and it sounds fabulous.

http://bluesjuniorfansite.com/demos/

also, the BJr takes pedals VERY well. i mean, very, very well, as does the jensen speaker. this is a great gigging, recording amp that gets the goods at the perfect volume level and the C12N is great in that amp.

...of course, this is my opinion, which is the only opinion that matters to me. :D