Fender Blues Juniors

Discussion in 'Reviews of amps and cabs' started by stratogib, Mar 3, 2017.

1. stratogib

stratogib Member

OF THE THREE, WHICH DO YOU GUYS PREFER AND WHY? WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES?

FENDER BLUES JR
    FENDER BLUES JR II
    FENDER BLUES JR III

2. samarshll

samarshll Member

Suggest you look for some quality demos on You Tube so you can hear and see what people have to say. I have an original 1995 tweed which is darker sounding and really good for blues. I've played the III in guitar center but haven't played them side by side.

3. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I've done gigs in small clubs with all three versions, and for just plugging the guitar straight in and CRANKING the amp (my preferred approach playing live), they're all pretty awesome sounding, especially with an upgraded speaker and JJ EL84 power tubes.

4. gabipe15

gabipe15 Member

Go with the III, and the speaker of your choice

jlagrassa likes this.
  5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Fender CS Two Tone... A Blues Jr in a larger pine cabinet with a 10" and 12" speaker. No mods required, nice sounding amp.

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Timely thread revival!

A pro player friend of mine came down to sit in with the house band at a jam last night, he’s buddies with the host, it’s a casual “friends” thing. Anyway I guess he decided to come at the last minute and he just grabbed a Blues Junior, got there a little after the set started so he didn’t set up his small board even.

Guy always sounds great, no surprise there, but I was really impressed by the amp too. Great sounding, plenty loud too though that’s not the point to me. No shortage of loud amps.

I’ve been thinking about getting a smaller amp for practical purposes, and the Blues Junior got into the mix, far from deciding but definitely a possibility. Pro Junior maybe, not looking for volume. Princeton Reverb, either RI or splurge of vintage, boutique maybe like an Allen Hot Fudge. Still a ways from deciding but nothing wrong with spending less money!

BJ despite the 12 is small enough to fit my desires, and in the weight range too.

tamader74 likes this.
  7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

One of Fender's truly great, vintage sounding modern amps. Replace the Italian Jensen with either an Eminence Cannabis Rex or Warehouse Guitar Speakers ET-65 if you have the tweed version, otherwise the stock Eminence Legend that comes with the black tolex version sounds great once broken in.

Sounds best plugging a Strat, Tele or Gibson semi-hollow straight in, DIMING both volumes, along with the midrange, and using the guitar's volume controls to work the magic.

tamader74 and Blues Wail like this.
  8. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

What Guitar Dave T said. One of the most versatile amps I ever owned was the Humbolt Hot Rod BJ. And all it really is is a BJIII with a Cannabis Rex speaker.

tamader74 likes this.
  9. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Member

I have a Blues Jr III and I find with single coils I'm constantly battling the treble. Keeping it low on the amp, dialing back the tone on the guitar, etc. but you can only do so much. A speaker change didn't improve things. I probably would have appreciated a I or II version. I tried a Bilm capacitor suggestion to bleed off some treble and messed up the trace. I sent the board to them as they said it could be fixed. I haven't heard a thing for about 6 weeks. I couldn't stand not having an amp so I bought a Boss Katana 50. Nice amp with tons of tone control. Nice to use my Strat bridge and hear ballsy tone without the high treble. There's a Twin Reverb simulation from an outside source that's real nice, too. Don't get me wrong, I loved everything else about my Blues Jr. Incredibly loud for 15 watts and stays pretty clean too if you set it up that way.

10. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

There's a new IV now ya know! :stir

tamader74 and Blues Wail like this.
  11. Voodoo Soul Blues

Voodoo Soul Blues Supporting Member

I don’t know what speaker you tried but before you give up I highly recommend trying an Eminence George Allesandro.

tamader74 likes this.
  12. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Member

I took out the highly touted Cannabis Rex and installed the Eminence Texas Heat. This is what made me feel it's not so much the speaker but the amp response itself. The sparkle mod is a killer for me. And again, it's mostly with single coils but that's mostly what I play.

I know there is a version IV but I'm not about to give up on my III board unless it can't be salvaged. In the meantime, the Katana is working fine for me.

13. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I just bought the laquered tweed NOS and quite frankly when I got it home and really opened her up it surprised me. I own some high end amps and got the bj for fun but, now I wonder as this lil guy sounds very nice to my ears

14. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

I liked my II, and figured the III would sound as sweet. I returned the III after two gigs, one small, and one opening for Lee Greenwood in a 2500 seat venue. The III wasn’t nearly as warm sounding as the II, even after a NOS tube swap and bias, and even swapping speakers between the two.

tamader74 likes this.
  15. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

At a small club venue last night, I brought my Tweed Blues Junior with cannabis Rex speaker for use as a guest amp. A good friend came out and played with us the last two sets using his Les Paul plugged directly into that Blues Junior, and it sounded phenomenally good. I was going between a 50 watt Plexi and a jtm45 with a 1x12, G12-65 loaded cabinet.

That Blues Junior held its own nicely. We even pulled off a couple of Allman Brothers Tunes using a lot of guitar harmonies, and the sound was pure cranked Marshall all the way.

tamader74, fretless and Blues Wail like this.
  16. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I’m still diggin it after a month of bedroom wanking so, must be sounding ok

17. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I’m still diggin the BJ

tamader74 and PCalugaru like this.
  18. PCalugaru

PCalugaru Member

Took out a CRex which is a good choice for a BJR and installed a old late 60s Oxford 12L6 that I had lying around .. probably not to everyone’s taste but very vintage sounding .. cool if you did the old school vintage thing

tamader74 likes this.
  19. Hobartian

Hobartian Member

Have a BJ III tweed. Have done the Fromel version of the basic mods, Switchcraft input jack, standby switch, and a MOD tank.
    A well broken in Emi Texas Heat brought it all together.

20. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

I really like my III.
    I did switch the speaker to an Eminence Legend.
    I use it for gigging, not as a home amp, but I expect it would be good at home also.

tamader74 likes this.