Fender Brown Pro speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nitebob, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Nitebob

Nitebob Member

Hello,
    I just purchased a brown Fender Pro with no 15" speaker. What would be a good replacement speaker?

Thanks,
    nitebob

2. Nitebob

Nitebob Member

Hello,
    JBL? Weber?

nitebob

3. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

I think that the Pro originally used an Alnico speaker, I would try either a Weber, JBL, or better yet, if you can get one, an Altec 418-B.

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Alnico speakers sound better in brown Fenders,IMHO. If you want it to break up sooner a Jensen P15P or P15N would be good. If you want more clean headroom a JBL D130 or Altec 418B.

5. Nitebob

Nitebob Member

Thanks for your suggestions. This amp has the wildest vibrato.

nitebob

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  6. sabby

sabby Member

Mine has BF Twin OT, so that may change things (maybe not), but I've gone through a few speakers with my Brown Pro. Mine came with an Altec that was on it's last legs. Maybe I should have reconed it, but the aluminum dome was too much.

I traded that one with my tech or a Weber 15A150. It sounded great and compressed at just the right time at low to medium volumes. But I had a hard time getting any sparkle without spikes. It seemed alternatively dark or, with the treble cranked, shrill. It was just too damned tricky getting to the sweet spot.

Next I tried a Eminence Legend. I was bigger and more stout than the 15A150. But after a while I noticed a real fatiguing high mid thing that left my ears ringing. Nice speaker, but it suffered from Eminence-itis. (JMHO, YMMV, etc. etc.)

I then tried a 15A150B. Nice and chime while still being balanced across the spectrum. But the poor bugger just couldn't hold up to the amp's power. It just squished before giving up the headroom I needed. Maybe a 15F150B would have made the grade, but I think this amp is too much for 50w Jensen types.

I was thinking of gettin a Weber NeoMag when I stumbled across a re-coned EVM-15L. This thing is great. Clean, huge, and full across the sonic spectrum with no spikes or woof. It handles dirt like a champ, too -- smooth and freakin' magisterial with a Fuzz Face. And it weighs a thousand pounds. The vibrato shakes the floor with this speaker.

If the EV is too heavy, I'd go with a Weber NeoMag. Maybe a Cali would be nice, but it might be too warm if you're looking for clean chime. Just for refernece, I like getting big broad cleans from this amp with chime and a hint of sizzle from the presence. Ceramics worked better for me. ( This amp makes me long for a reverb tank like mad. Surf's up!)

Just my $0.02.

Enjoy the amp!

7. Nitebob

Nitebob Member

Thanks again for the info
    nitebob