• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Fender Brownface Super 6G4-A Build Thread

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
Inspired by:eek:thers here on TGP, I am embarking on my latest build adventure. This will be amp build #7 for me and the most challenging yet. The Brownface Super is a rare Fender design produced from 19P60 - 64 that included the coveted harmonic tremolo in a 40 watt 2 x 10" combo format.

Here's the results of my shopping spree:

My compliments to the three sources I used for parts. I placed my orders on Memorial day. Antique Electrical Supply (tubesandmore.com) responded with a tracking number the next day and I received my shipment on 6/4. Triode Electronics (transformers) shipped via USPS, received 6/5. Weber (tedweber.com) had to build two speakers but still shipped via FedEx with the shipment received on 6/6. Kudos to all three for excellent responsiveness and super quick shipping.

Last edited:

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
I'm using Classictone ltransformers from Triode Electronics. The speakers are Weber signature series . I'm also buying most electronics from them, including their 150 style capacitors. Cabinet materials, tolex, grill cloth, handles, etc are from Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore.com). I also bought the startup tubes from them - JJ for the GZ34 rectifier and 12AX7s, Sovtek 5881s. I'll likely upgrade to better tubes after I get
It up and running.

BarryW

The super is a great circuit - I have one and it's a great amp. I built the 6g16 Brown Vibroverb, it was seriously fun to build and sounds great. Enjoy the build!

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
I've laid out the patterns for the chassis, power supply doghouse and the front and back panels. I don't have dimensioned drawings of these parts, just overall amp dimensions and some photos. I think I know my Fender amps well enough to make some pretty close replicas. I also made templates for the 3 eyelet boards - main, filter/power supply and the bias board. I mod'd the bias board design slightly to accomodate a adjustable bias pot.

I've taken to making my chassis from 18 x 26 aluminum sheet pans. I bought a box of a dozen from an Orlando restaurant supply place for $100. That's $8.33 each vs $26 for a sheet from Lowe's. I traced the outline with a sharpie and cut them out on the bandsaw at my wife's shop.

Here's the completed pile of roughcut chassis, doghouse and front and back panel blanks. Also the eyelet board blanks made from vulcanized fiberboard from AES.

I managed to do it without cutting off any fingers. :omg

Structo

Interesting, about the chassis.
What gauge is that aluminum?
Do you have a picture of a completed chassis?

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting, about the chassis.
What gauge is that aluminum?
Do you have a picture of a completed chassis?
The aluminum is .040 thick. A picture of the completed chassis is still a week or two away, depending on finding time to work on the project. You can see one of my other sheet pan chassis on my Hiwatt DR504 build thread. But this time I'm planninge on taking it a step further. Stay tuned.

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
Family in town this weekend, so not much time for working on my project. I did get to drill my eyelet boards on the drill press.

They took lots of hand cleanup afterwards.

There sure are a lot of eyelets on these boards. I counted 93 on each board set.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
Fantastic stuff, as always Matt! Go man!!

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
I slept late this morning because I had a gig last night but I did manage to make it in to the shop just after noon. I spent the afternoon at the drill press and Bridgeport drilling and milling on my chassis blanks and front and back faceplates.

It might not look like much, but that's a bunch oF holes. I still need to cut out for the IEC power plug and convenience socket on the back, do a bunch of filing and deburring. Maybe Sunday I'll get to the brake and do some bending.

5E3

Wow! Great job and ambitious project, congrats! That metal work is time consuming, but yours looks excellent. I'll be following your thread closely. Thanks!

johnny5

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like you'll have some fun de-burring those! Nice work, looking forward to seeing the progress.

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
Ok, well I finally found time to do a little more on the project. I spent several hours deburring the chassis blanks and the front and back panels. A lot of it I was able to do with 3 different size countersinks, but there was still a lot of manual filing.

Here's a bunch of blanks:

Here's the brake in my wife's shop. It's a very cool device. Really powerful electromagnet holds the work while you bend it.

Here's the first bent chassis. It came out okay, but the front is a little tall. I calculated it a 1 15/16", it seems closer to 1 3/4".

This one came out much better.

Now to bend the doghouses - the little covers that go over the power supply filter caps.

Here's the results of today's efforts:

:drink

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Sweet. I'll be it's great having access to all those tools!!

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
It is really cool having access to all these great toys. I am very lucky. There's a lot more stuff there that I just don't know how to work. More on that to come.

This morning was occupied by Wimbledown tennis (go Federer, Murray), then we took the dogs over to the pool for a swim. I did get a couple of hours in with the table saw cutting out the cab shells.

It's really a great table saw, powerful as heck. The cabs will be 24 wide x 18 tall x 10 1/2 deep (9 1/2 at the top). I think I'll wait until the shells are together before I cut the speaker baffle and back panels, just to be sure my calculations are correct.

I did have my first (minor) injury today.

One of the sides kicked back and whacked my right hand pretty good. Ice on the outside, Jim Beam and ibuprofen on the inside, I think I will be fine. Wife says "I told you to be careful." Yes, dear.

hammersig

Silver Supporting Member
Matt, I've enjoyed watching the evolution of your builds. Every time they seem to get more and more involved, it's great to see someone who's not afraid to try to do scratch fabrication.

Did I miss something or are you building three of these? Plans to sell?

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Hey Matt hope that hand's okay. This kind of thing scares the hell out of me...

Are you using mitered joints? Glue and screw?

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
Matt, I've enjoyed watching the evolution of your builds. Every time they seem to get more and more involved, it's great to see someone who's not afraid to try to do scratch fabrication.

Did I miss something or are you building three of these? Plans to sell?
Hammer - thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy digging into this stuff and learning. None of my projects have been perfect, but each has been a great learning experience.

And yes, I am planning to build three each of the cabinets, chassis and circuit boards. If they come out decent, I may sell them as is, as a kit or even built. But that's a ways off - I need to get one done first.

Ok, today's adventure. There are these two Sciaky welders down in the back building. One's a seam welder and ones a spot welder. They both date to circa 1967.

The shop foreman (my buddy Donald) said it hadn't been turned on for at least 15 years. He helped me hook up the compressed air and water cooling and we turned on the power. He admitted he had never used it and had no experience with it.

The dials lit up and it seemed to be on, but we couldn't get it to function. I read thru the startup instructions, but couldn't get it to initiate. Bummer.

Maybe a bad tube? (Hah!)

Donald called his friend at the local welding shot. He said he'd TIG weld them right up. I considered riveting or screwing them, but gave in and decided to get them welded by a pro. Curses. Foiled. But probably cheaper than a service call on an antique machine.

Trending Topics